Chapter 8

I was staring absentmindedly at my sheet music, not paying much attention to the world around me.

I was at lunch with my friends, but they were talking about their own things that I couldn't really interject on, so I was taking some performance notes.

However, my space in which I quietly took notes of my music was being bombarded by my lovely but painstakingly loud friends. Music was the one sphere of my life that I enjoyed serene and quiet spaces.

I tapped my pen against the table, unable to focus on my notes.

So, I stood up, explaining to the girls that I was going to head to the university's library to do some things. They smiled understandingly, letting me go without much protest or questioning.

To be honest, I wasn't going to go to the library. I liked more open atmospheres for work. Quiet, but open.

And the best place for that was the campus courtyard. There was a nice grassy part with red and orange leaved trees in preparation for Autumn, that was virtually calling my name to go sit down.

I sat down under the shade of the tree, resting my back against the sturdy trunk.

It was much more quiet as less people were out here doing incredibly crazy things. I could concentrate while being surrounded by serenity.

I took out my pen, and began to continue marking down performance notes, including marking down accidental markings since the key signature was complicated and it was hard to read and remember.

The Paris wind was strong that day, and my hair blew wistfully in each gust. I constantly had to blow my bangs out of my face and comb my hands through my hair so it didn't get too messy.

It was late afternoon by this point and I didn't actually have anymore classes to attend nor did I have any sort of schedule or meeting.

So I took the time to continue going through my pieces, because I had a gig coming up and I needed to nail it.

As a university student, having a job is a necessity because my parents aren't going to let me freeload. Thankfully, since I graduated high school, I often landed performance gigs at hotels or small events that paid a survivable amount each occurrence.

But this one was a huge one. The Shangri-La Hotel had asked for me to perform for about three hours in welcoming of some important diplomatic guests.

Of course I accepted because it was a huge honor and I got big bank from it. So I had to prepare longer pieces that fit the tone of the event.

Most of the pieces I had were solid, but it was just this one that gave me a hard time. Being nervous was something that would never go away, so to prevent a slip up, I'd be prepared.

I was so immersed in my daydreaming and notes that I hadn't noticed the presence that had quietly sat beside me.

It wasn't till I heard him sigh that I jumped a bit. Sure enough, Yoongi was sitting beside me, looking at his own score of music.

I really ought to scold him for continuing to scare me like that, but it was kind of cute how he tried not to disturb me from my work.

"Someone was feeling lonely?" I teasingly hummed.

He didn't look at me, but I could sense his bright red blush.

"Psh, as if. This looked like a nice tree to sit under," he argued.

"And the person under it didn't cross your mind?" I questioned.

"I-I was only looking at nature," he defended.

I chuckled, saving him any more embarrassment and agreed with him.

The two of us sat in silence, the sound of the pages of music turning filling the void of silence between us. It was surprisingly comfortable.

Our shoulders and part of our backs were pressed against each other, alerting the other of our presence, but it didn't feel overwhelming or awkward.

It felt surprisingly right and perfect.

At one point, I had put my left hand on the ground beside me while I balanced the top of the pen between my teeth, observing the legible scribbles on the music.

What I didn't expect, was the sudden warmth of someone else's hand right on top of my rested one.

The feeling was warm. It was as if instinctively, the both of us had moved to intertwined our fingers. But just as fast as it happened did the two of us recoil our hands.

How we kept having these awkward and cliche moments was a mysterious to the both of us.

"S-sorry," he stuttered.

"No worries," I hummed, hiding the blush on my face.

I thought we would just go back to our silent work, but I went even more red when I felt his other hand enclose the one around my pen.

I eyed him suspiciously, watching as he securely held the hand holding the pen.

He gently guided the pen down to the music, pulling my hand and attention to the fourth measure of the second system.

G flat.

He had moved my hand in this way to note down a flat accidental on the G as I had for all the other flat notes.

Yet the action felt so intimate. So precious all at once.

The way his warm breath tickled my neck from how he looked over it as he guided my hand. And how his hand was so tightly and protectively around mine.

He was poking his cheek with his tongue in focus as he scanned the rest of the page for errors. But now my gaze was anywhere but the music.

If he wanted my attention, he certainly had it.

He marked another D flat that I had missed, paying no mind to how I observed him.

Yoongi's eyes refocused on me when he realized when I wasn't paying attention and realized how close our faces were.

His cheeks went cherry red, yet he refused to pull back.

So I did, escaping the tension of that awkward embrace and pulling my hand from his grip.

"Thanks haha. Silly me, wonder those parts always sound so weird when I play it," I said, quickly changing the topic.

He chuckled, playing it off, "Haha yep. Gotta be careful of E flat minor. The more black keys, the weirder."

"Those darn black keys," I huffed, quickly finding my normal playful nature again to lighten the atmosphere. He chuckled, visibly relaxing.

I breathed a sigh of relief as things between the two of us calmed down, and went back to preparing for my gig. It was already October, and the gig was fast approaching in the early November months. I had to get ready, and the cute guy next to me, could not distract me from that.

____________________________________
In case you haven't been here long, I love romantic cliches no matter how overdone they are. And this is a literal romance book hence the whole Paris scene, so, expect a lot of cringey and cliche stuff like this 😉