01| Meeting strangers

She was sat all comfy on one of the tram's seats, checking out her little city, buzzing with that hustle and bustle of life. The day was winding down all peaceful-like. People were trudging around looking pretty glum, some with their earbuds jammed in. Schools were out for spring break, so you had the teens cruising around town in packs. She leaned against the window, waiting for the tram to kick off.

Unbeknownst to her, the young lady started doodling what turned out to be hearts and circles on the fogged-up glass. When she spotted her impromptu artwork, a little smile played on her lips.

The weather outside had her snugging up in her trench coat. In the UK, it's like flipping a coin to guess whether it's gonna rain, be all cloudy, or turn sunny. But today, Nottingham was just kind of grey and gloomy. She let out a sigh and fished her headphones out of her bag, needing a bit of music to wind down after the day's grind.

She kept staring out the window, lost in her thoughts until a tap on her shoulder snapped her out of it. She let out a tiny squeak, a bit startled. Tugging off her headphones, she turned her head to see who was barging in.

Her puzzled look met a couple of oldies lugging around some hefty bags. She could tell the old lady was probably Asian from her looks, but the guy was more of a mystery. Definitely in their sixties, these two. The bloke's hair was white as snow, sparkling under the tram's lights. His missus had this glossy hair with streaks of black in the white.

"Hi there, how can I lend a hand?" She asked the pair.

"Sorry for giving you a fright, dear," the old man said with an apologetic grin. "We just need a little help finding our hotel. We're on a little tour here. Skipped the local guide on purpose, wanted to explore on our own, you know. Blabbermouth me can't seem to shut it, though."

His missus shot him a look. "Don't mind him, love. He's got a knack for yakking, not much of a sense for when to zip it and when to yap."

The old man just grinned back, sliding into a seat opposite the young lady. Her annoyance eased up seeing his cheeky grin. The old lady smiled, shaking her head, and took the seat right next to her husband.

Looking at the couple, the young lady couldn't help but beam. You could tell these two were still crazy in love.

She asked for the town's brochure and the name of their hotel. "I reckon it's, erm, Igloo Hybrid?" The old man responded with more of a question than an answer.

"What do you reckon?" The old lady shot back at him. The young lady watched their adorable back-and-forth. She ended up chuckling softly, which caught the couple's attention. "You've got such a sweet look about you, yeobo." The old lady's compliment made the young woman blush.

"Th-th-thanks," she managed, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Now quit pestering the young lady. She's about to explode from shyness," which earned a giggle from the old lady. "Could you steer us right now, dear?" The old man asked her.

"Sorry 'bout that. You'll want to head straight for the fourth stop. Then, uh, take a left, yeah, left from there. You'll spot the place in the fifth building." She replied.

The old lady thanked her for the help. "Would it be alright to know your name, luv?" The old man chimed in.

"Aurora," she said softly.