05| Winner gets the number

"Get his number."

Aurora gave her best friend a look that practically said, 'Are you having a laugh?'

"Don't be daft, Lillian," Aurora stated.

"She's not Rory," Willow said, taking a sip of her drink. "You're just asking for his phone number. No need to make a big fuss."

Lillian nodded, agreeing with Willow.

Aurora kept sipping her drink. If talking to someone was a task, then getting a phone number felt like climbing a mountain. She rested her head on the table and placed her drink on the counter.

"Come on, Rory," Lillian chimed in with confidence. "Getting a bloke's number doesn't mean you're desperate to snog him. It could just mean you want to make mates."

"I know."

"So, Rory, what's got you in a tizzy?" Lillian asked. "Back in school, you used to chat up everyone. But then—" Lillian trailed off, realizing the root of her friend's behaviour.

"Please tell me you're not acting like this because of that tosser," Lillian clenched her fists.

"Rory," Willow intervened, the sensible one of the trio, putting a hand on Aurora's shoulder. "Is this about Joshua?"

Aurora chewed her lip, tears welling up. It was a struggle for her to let go of what he'd said to her.

Lillian grumbled, her anger evident. "That prat's moved on, Rory." She exhaled deeply. "He's history. When he was with you, he was fooling around with Ruby. Anything he said to you isn't worth squat. Honestly!" Lillian sighed at the end.

"Rory, he's a total jerk." Willow stood by Lillian. "He's not worth your time or your thoughts. Don't let his words or actions get to you."

Aurora lifted her head, wiping her tears. His words had haunted her for too long. Every day, they chipped away at her confidence.

Joshua Kingsley

The guy she used to fancy. They'd met in college. He was the first guy she'd had a proper chat with. He seemed alright, at least that's what she'd thought. He'd started off nice when they were dating, but as time went on, his true colours showed.

Joshua began body-shaming Aurora, criticizing her clothes, making her feel rubbish about herself. She hadn't worn a bodycon dress or shorts in years. Baggy shirts and trousers became her uniform. Lilly and Willow gifted her dresses, but every time she wore one and looked in the mirror, his hurtful words echoed back.

She tried to move past it, but it left scars.

Then there's the matter of promises.

Promises, they're like smoke in the wind. Her father, who promised to always be there, left her. Her boyfriend, who repeated the act like her father, left too.

Even now, deep down, she worries her best friends and mum might leave her too.

Brushing away her tears, she gave her friends a teary smile.

"I won't," she whispered. "I promise I won't let his words hurt me."

"That's our Rory," Willow cheered, pulling Aurora into a hug. Lillian joined in too.

Breaking the hug, Lillian held Aurora's face. "Listen to me, Aurora. That wanker was insecure. He felt small next to a lovely girl like you. He's the one with the issues. Don't give his words any power."

Aurora giggled at Lillian's blunt advice.

"Thanks for being my girlfriends," Aurora smiled at them. "I don't know where I'd be without you lot."