02| A walk around the city

He grinned as he watched the stranger wander off. He had no intention of staring at her creepily. He tried to look elsewhere every time he glanced at her. But he couldn't manage it. Because she was stunning as she laughed and giggled at the old couple's words.

Her blonde hair was tied up in a ponytail, with some bits sticking out, giving her head a bit of a chaotic look. But she was gorgeous. He grinned as he remembered how she blushed when she realized she was still gawking at him. Truth be told, her eyes were lovely. Her eyes might be lovely shades of grey, giving off a bit of a cold vibe.

From the tram, the young bloke checked out the city. Even though he'd seen it on YouTube, the city was even lovelier in the flesh. He'd only been to London, not the other cities in England. This got him curious. Even though he'd ridden trams before, he was keen to hop on this city's tram.

The reason, well, that was a bit of a mystery.

He thought maybe this sightseeing would be nice.

After getting off the tram, he started heading to the house where he was crashing. The place was owned by his best mate's cousin. He carefully plonked his stuff in the living room after unlocking the door. He quickly rummaged through the house to find some food.

He slumped on the sofa and pulled out his mobile to check for messages. There were loads of texts from his mum, dad, and, of course, his ex-girlfriend.

He planned this trip to get away from his ex. He had to quit his well-paying job since the woman he'd been with for five years was two-timing him with his colleague. They were all workmates in the same office. He'd thought his girlfriend and his colleague were mates.

But he had no clue they were having a fling behind his back.

It had been four months since their breakup, and she hadn't left him alone. He organized this trip because he was fed up with his ex showing up at his dad's office which was his new workplace and also to his residence every day.

At the very least, it was a bit of a break.

He dialled his mum's number, wanting to chat with his folks. He could hear her giving him a proper earful as soon as the call connected.
"Chase Aiden Reed, why didn't you pick up the call?"

He pictured his mum with a frown on her face.

"You are middle naming me. That's bad! And what, no hello, no nothin'? You're not gonna ask how the flight was or if I've eaten?" He dramatized his response. When he heard his mum sigh, a little grin tugged at his lips.

"I've been worried sick, love. You weren't in the right state of mind when you left." He heard his mum's voice sounding defeated. "I mean, with Jenny and..." Chase cut her off before she could finish her sentence.

"Don't worry about her, Mum. She's all wrapped up in me now. And with me buggering off for a few weeks, maybe she'll find someone else." He shook his head. "I certainly hope so. Maybe then she'll leave me alone."

There was a brief pause on both ends. "Alright, let's move on to something else. So, how was your flight? Wasn't it a direct one? How's your backache these days? And what about the place?" He laughed as his mum kept on talking.

"Take a deep breath, love. How's he supposed to answer if you keep firing questions at him? So, one question at a time." He heard his dad's voice, and Chase grinned. "So, how was your flight, lad?"

He caught his mum mumbling something, and he chose to ignore it. "It was alright, Dad. Right on time. And as for the place, it's decent and nice. It's got this gabled roof." He got up from the sofa and headed into the kitchen.