06| Best friends to the rescue?

"Yes!"

Chase pumped his fist in the air, unable to contain his excitement.

There was something about her that just pulled him in.

He couldn't put his finger on it, but certainly something was there.

Maybe it was how gorgeous she looked or her sly glances at him. He didn't know exactly what it was.

Around her, he felt at ease. Despite having travelled far and wide, meeting people from all walks of life, he hadn't found someone he connected with like this before. He was determined not to let this chance with Aurora slip through his fingers.

He hadn't been on a date with a woman in years, apart from his ex-girlfriend. Now, going out with this young lady tomorrow, he couldn't help the nerves creeping in.

Chase couldn't even hang out with his female coworkers without Jenny's constant doubt. He scoffed, realising who was actually cheating. He tried not to dwell on what he had witnessed, but the pain was real.

Seeing the woman he loved in the arms of another man crushed him. And the pain was still fresh.

He could lie to his family and friends about his feelings, but he couldn't lie to himself. He loved her. He tried to give her everything she wanted or needed, even his heart. Yet, she never seemed satisfied or content with his efforts. It hurt when she mocked him in front of their coworkers or friends. But he brushed it off.

Only David knew the extent of his misery after the breakup. Those days were a blur of drinking, sleeping, and repeating the cycle.

It took him weeks to realise he was mourning a girl who had never truly loved him. She didn't love him; she just enjoyed the attention of being his girlfriend at university and work.

Chase walked over to the kitchen cupboard, wiping his damp eyes, and pulled out a packet of Monster Munch. Those were his go-to comfort foods when he was down or tired.

Eating was his way of unwinding.

With his feet up on the table, he continued munching on the fiery hot corn snack. Taking out his phone, he Googled hidden spots in Nottingham.

He wasn't familiar with any hidden gems in Nottingham. He just wanted to spend time with her, but his mind was playing tricks on him, drowning him in misery.

"I should get her number," he grumbled, dialling David's number, who picked up instantly. "Aren't you sleeping?" he asked his best friend between chip crunches.

"Nope, FIFA was keeping me busy. What's up?"

"Know any offbeat places in Nottingham?" Chase inquired.

"You're crazy," David's words made Chase scowl. "How would I know? I never even lived in that city."

"You're lying," Chase accused his friend. "You told me you spent two years in Nottingham." He was determined to win this bet and get Aurora's number.

"Chase," David's voice came through the line. "I meant I was a two-year-old kid on vacation with my family," Chase whined upon hearing that. His best friend was proving to be less helpful than expected. "And why are you so interested?" David quizzed.

Chase shrugged, popping another corn puff into his mouth. "I might have made a bet with Aurora."

"Ah, you bumped into her again? What's the wager this time?"

Hearing the munching noise from the other side, David shook his head. "Oi, quit munching for a tick and give us an answer, Chase," David said, his head shaking slightly. "A'right, I'm going to video call you."