11| The pent-up emotions

Aurora glanced around the room where her father lay. The room was painted in a pastel shade of green instead of the usual white. Nonetheless, the smell of antiseptic lingered in the air. She took a deep breath, trying to steady her mind; hospitals had never held pleasant memories for her.

Leaning against the wall, she fixed her gaze on the man sleeping peacefully on the bed. He'd once been her hero, ready to help her face her demons, but now he was just another figure in her life. She desperately wished for her dad when Joshua had mentally tormented her.

A small part of her taunted her for wanting to rush into her father's arms and weep. But that didn't matter. She yearned for her dad to console her, to assure her that everything was alright. Yet, he never came, having lost interest in her life.

Her mother comforted her and gave her the strength to overcome her fears and confront the world. Nora was her unwavering supporter, her cheerleader. Aurora felt fortunate to have Nora as her mother and was determined to fulfill her mother's wishes.

Like reaching out to her father.

Uncertainty clouded her mind as the idea of speaking to her father crossed her thoughts. It had been years since she had exchanged words with her old man. She wanted to talk, to fill him in on what he had missed in her life. "But not just yet," she murmured, casting a look at Joseph, who was peacefully asleep.

Her attention turned to the creaking of the door, and she saw her mother, Sofie, and Noah entering the room.

Nora greeted Aurora with a smile as she settled onto the couch in the corner.

"So..." Aurora began when no one else spoke. "What did the doctors say? Is dad alright?"

"Dad's fine, Rory," Noah replied, taking a sip of water to quench his thirst. "Doctors mentioned he'll need a few months of rest."

As Nora sat on the couch, Noah positioned himself near her and rested his head in her lap. Sofie smiled, her gaze moving between them, while Aurora shook her head. At times, Noah acted like a perpetual child, always seeking attention. And he'd always looked up to Nora as a second mother.

Sofie walked over to Aurora and gave her shoulder a tap.

"Rora," Aurora looked at Sofie, who was smiling playfully. "Word on the street is that you were out with a lad yesterday." Aurora rolled her eyes, her smile evident. "Is it what I reckon it is?"

Sofie asked with a hint of excitement.

"Did Noah blab?" Aurora questioned, ignoring Sofie's query.

"Oh, he did," Sofie grinned. "He was babbling about overhearing a man's voice. With so many young men showing interest in you, Noah went a bit bonkers and muttered about enrolling you in a martial arts class." Sofie chuckled softly. Her gaze shifted to Nora and her son, engaged in a hushed conversation.

They looked every bit the perfect mother-son duo.

"He's just an acquaintance, Sofie," Aurora murmured, absentmindedly playing with her denim shirt's sleeves.

"Really?" The older woman raised both eyebrows, perfectly groomed. "Not even a friend?"

Aurora nodded slowly. "He's not even a friend."

"Well, I'm not so sure about that."

Aurora rolled her eyes, hearing the older woman's suppressed laughter. She was still struggling to consider Chase her friend. While he had offered comfort and safety, she dreaded the thought of him moving on from her and finding new companionship.

What if he finds new mates? What if he forgot about her?

Countless questions swirled in her mind. She yearned to avoid more pain and suffering.