10| My lord & M'lady

Chase sighed as he gazed at the young woman before him. She had confided in him about her troubles, and he felt a sense of contentment that she had opened up. He had sensed something amiss when she initially avoided discussing her family. He didn't want to pressure her into revealing anything, preferring that she do so willingly.

And today, she had done just that.

Willingly.

He was determined to help her in confronting her problems, guiding her to face her fears and pursue her desires. However, he understood her stubbornness and knew she might not readily accept his help. She had always been independent, a trait he admired, yet he hoped she'd learn that accepting help was sometimes acceptable.

Shaking his head subtly, Chase regarded the woman named Aurora. As she devoured her breakfast, he couldn't help but chuckle. Glancing up from her plate, she met his gaze.

"What?" she inquired, wiping away the remaining crumbs from her mouth.

Chase smiled and responded, "You eat as if you've been deprived of food for ages."

Aurora blushed, feeling embarrassed. She glanced around to check if anyone had noticed her eating habits, finding no one. Letting out a relieved sigh, she pushed back her unruly hair and offered him an apologetic smile. "I apologize if my eating embarrassed you," she mumbled.

Chase furrowed his brows in confusion. "Embarrassed?" he questioned. He looked at her with a puzzled expression. "Why would I be embarrassed because of you, Aurora?"

Aurora swallowed nervously, avoiding his gaze. She struggled to explain that her ex-boyfriend had criticised her eating style, pressuring her to adopt a more refined manner. Joshua had insisted that she needed to be more polished and cultured.

That guy acted like he was royalty.

In reality, he could use some lessons in manners.

"Aurora?" Chase prompted. "You haven't answered my question."

She offered him a strained smile. "Um..." she hesitated, unsure of how to respond. "I-I ate quickly, and some crumbs might have lingered around my lips. So I thought, " She shrugged, keeping the real reason hidden.

"You could never embarrass me, Aurora," Chase assured her, placing his hand atop hers on the table. "Never. Instead, you make me feel happy."

Aurora's cheeks flushed at his words.

Her blush captivated him; she was undeniably beautiful.

She shook her head, smiling, and gently withdrew her hand from his grasp. "You're quite the smooth talker, Mr. Acquaintance," Aurora teased, playing with her food.

"If it brings a smile to your face, Miss," Chase paused, winking at Aurora, "then I'd say my flirting skills are up to par."

"I must agree. Your flirting skills are up to par."

Chase beamed with pride upon hearing her response.

"But," she added with a grin, "they won't get you very far." With that, she resumed eating.

Resting his chin on his hands, Chase feigned a pout. "Oh, come on! Don't deflate my ego." He mock-glared at her.

Aurora shrugged playfully and carried on with her meal.

Twisting his lips, Chase folded his arms across his chest, feigning a frown. He had assumed his charm and playful lines would be enough to win her over. But he quickly realised that Aurora was immune to his tactics. She remained impervious to his every charm and line.