08| Getting to know

"'This is amazing, Aurora."

Chase let out a moan as the taste of the curry pork katsu hit his taste buds. The pork was cooked extra crispy, and the young bloke devoured it hungrily. Aurora gave him a soft smile, watching him tuck in.

It was one of her all-time favourites, from her beloved restaurant. The first time she set foot in that cafe was with her mum after her parents split. She felt miserable then, missing her dad, who turned down her invitation to join them. But Nora knew just the thing to lift her spirits.

Desserts before supper.

And that did put a smile on her face, no doubt.

Aurora could still recall that first spoonful. To say she liked it would be an understatement. The place and its food became her solace. The folks at the restaurant became the family she missed growing up.

"I'm lovin' it," Chase exclaimed, a grin on his face that made Aurora laugh. He cast a glance at her plate, where a few pieces of Tso chicken still remained. He looked down at his plate and the bowl, only to find them empty. With a small grin, he pointed his finger at the Tso chicken. "Want it?"

Aurora nodded her head. "Aye, it's tasty, ain't it?" She purposefully moaned in front of Chase, making him frown. She reached out a piece to him, only to pull her hand back. "Sorry, I couldn't share this one."

"I'm gonna order another one," poking his tongue out to her, Chase ordered another bowl of Tso chicken. The sweet and sour taste of the chicken made him want more of it.

"I'm stuffed anyway," Aurora muttered, looking at her belly. Giving it a pat, she smiled at Chase. "We've got a food baby in there."

"We do, huh?" Chase questioned her with a teasing smile.

Aurora nodded with a fake, shy smile. "Yeah, we do, Chase," she replied, followed by a fake giggle as well. "This baby is going to receive so much love from everyone," she said, wiping away her invisible tears, making Chase choke on his food.

"Jesus, here comes the mood swing," he muttered lowly, making sure Aurora didn't hear the sentence. But hearing a gasp from her, he knew she heard it.

"That's rude, Chase," Aurora replied with tears brimming. "You're not allowed to speak like that. That's it! I'm leaving now," Aurora said, exaggerating every word she said. For a minute, Chase was stunned by her act, and then he couldn't control himself from laughing.

She was funny.

But she took her own sweet time to mingle with him. He understood that she had built up a wall around her, only letting the people she trusted in. And surprising him, she was chatting with him with ease, without any discomfort. It was something she wanted to feel near him.

Being comfortable with herself around him.

Small steps, he reminded himself.

Seeing her pay for the food, he instantly snatched the bill from her. With the unexpected action from him, Aurora jumped in her place.

"Chase!" She exclaimed with a frown. "What's that for?"

This time it was his turn to frown. "Couldn't let a woman pay the bill now, could I? Besides, my parents taught me how to treat a woman proper," muttering Chase started eating.

Aurora opened her mouth to speak, but the words caught in her throat. A knot of anxiety twisted in her stomach as she struggled to find her voice. He was different, but the words brought back memories of how Joshua had treated her at first. Sweet and caring. To be honest, it scared her. Still, she was scared to chat with Chase. Fear was etched in her mind. Many 'What if' questions rattled 'round.