14| Memories unlocked

"Alright, then, where are we headed?" Aurora queried, her voice laced with playful suspicion.

Chase, shifting into third gear, cast a sidelong glance at her. He wouldn't tell her, of course. Not yet. This surprise he'd planned after last night's outing was far too precious to spoil. Booking a rental car that morning had felt like the most important task on earth, for their impending journey was indeed a long one.

"That's the fifth time you've asked, Ms. Walker," Chase replied with a sly grin, his right hand stroking his chin thoughtfully.

Aurora scoffed. "And that's the fifth time you've refused to answer, Mr. Reed," she muttered, returning his playful glare with a mock frown.

Yet, a traitorous smile tugged at the corners of her lips. She still couldn't quite fathom how she'd agreed to embark on this mystery car ride with him. All Chase had done was request her presence at the Broadmarsh, murmuring something about picking her up. Now, here she was, ensconced in the passenger seat as he navigated the winding roads of Nottingham towards... well, wherever they were going.

"Have you ever even visited Nottingham before?" Aurora inquired, her brow furrowing slightly.

Chase's brow mirrored hers for a fleeting moment. "No, why?" he replied, taking a sharp right at the roundabout.

"Then how do you know your way around so well?" Aurora countered, her voice laced with a hint of amusement.

Seeing his confused expression, she sighed. "I was merely—"

"I figured it out the first time, Ms. Walker," Chase interjected, cutting her off gently. "Now, answer me."

A playful smirk danced on his lips. "I never took you for the easily-flustered type, Aurora."

Aurora gasped dramatically. "That's rude! I just wanted to know—" she faltered, her gaze landing on the infotainment screen that dominated the dashboard.

Realisation dawned, bringing a sheepish smile to her face as she self-consciously attempted to hide behind her cascading waves of hair. A blush bloomed across her cheeks, the heat spreading like wildfire. How could she have missed the screen entirely? Cars weren't her forte, but even then, this was embarrassing. A groan escaped her lips as she mentally berated herself.

A chuckle erupted from his throat, drawing her attention back to him.

"Stop it," she whined playfully, earning a bewildered look from Chase.

"Stop what, Rory?"

His casual use of the nickname, reserved for those closest to her, caused her breath to hitch. It felt strangely comforting, yet a sliver of unease gnawed at her.

Sensing her sudden withdrawal, Chase's gaze softened with concern. Had he overstepped? "I'm truly sorry if that made you uncomfortable," he apologised sincerely. "I know I can be a bit of a chatterbox sometimes, and I might not always know when to stop. Like right now, perhaps. I know I should probably shut up, but—"

"Chase?" she said softly, interrupting his self-deprecating tirade.

"Uh-huh?"

"Just breathe, alright?" she instructed gently, her voice laced with concern. "Inhale deeply, then exhale slowly."

His shoulders slumped slightly, and he took two deep breaths, his eyes grateful for her intervention.

A tiny smile tugged at her lips. His rambling had been oddly endearing. And about being uncomfortable, well, his nickname hadn't triggered any discomfort. In fact, it had sparked a curious warmth within her. Her gaze drifted towards his profile, taking in the strong lines of his jaw and the hint of stubble that dusted his chin. He was undeniably handsome, a fact nobody could deny. Her gaze then found its way to his eyes.