Chapter 21

"Park Jimin can never be a faithful man

"Park Jimin can never be a faithful man. He's just not cut out for it."

"Di? Hey, Di? Diane!"

I was abruptly snapped out of my trance by a pillow menacingly flying straight at my head. I managed to duck down at the last moment and escape it, however it landed on the coffee table to my right and ended up knocking down a half-full bottle of wine.

"HEY!!" Quinn's dramatic holler echoed in the living room like thunderclap. "Look what you made me do!"

"If I remember correctly I never asked you to start throwing pillows at me." I stated as-a-matter-of-factly.

"You weren't responding. I thought you were dead."

"You thought I was dead even though I was just sitting on your couch, breathing perfectly fine?"

Pouting grumpily, Quinn stood up with a quiet "hmmpf".

"Doesn't matter. Now this exquisite, hundred-dollar bottle of wine just went to waste because of you."

"Ha-ha. Nice try. I knew you got it at a gas station for ten dollars, I was with you when you did that."

"Whatever, I'm gonna get another one from the fridge," she grumbled, grabbing a towel to take care of the mess we made. I stood up to help her, still feeling in a little bit of a daze. I must have been pretty out of it if Quinn had to use my full name to draw me back to reality.

"Anyway, what's up with you?" she asked, wrinkling her nose a little bit as she came back from the kitchen with a brand-new bottle of wine. "Are you still upset about what that bitch-ass nurse at the hospital said?"

"Would it be bad if I said yes?" I asked cautiously, sipping from my drink and relishing in its bitter aftertaste. Ah, cheap wine. Hits just the right spot.

"It would be very, very bad," Quinn frowned, sitting cross-legged on the couch and putting one of the cushions in her lap. "It would make me want to hit you in the head with something heavier than a pillow."

I rubbed my thumb on the glass absently. I tried to keep my head leveled, I really, really did, but Jimin had ghosted me for almost three days now and I kinda just wanted to bury myself alive and cry my eyes out until I died.

"Hey!" Quinn scolded, as if having heard my self-destructive thoughts. "I don't know who this girl drowning in self-pity in front of me is right now, but she is not the beautiful confident woman I call my best friend." I glanced up from my drink to see her serious expression all of a sudden. "The Di I know takes shit from no one and never cries over silly teenage drama."

It felt like something was sitting at my chest as I peered at her, my lips quivering for a moment. I knew that she was right, I fucking knew it but I still couldn't help it. It was like someone had reached inside my soul and had altered something irreversibly. I hardly gave a fuck about what that nurse at the hospital had said, but now that I hadn't heard from him in days, it was starting to mess with my head.