Chapter 17

a/n: buckle up because this is gonna get a bit heavy, dudes and dudettes

Jimin's POV

"How many tantrums today?" I asked as Y/N took Taeyang from my arms.

"So many tantrums," she sighed with exasperation. "He's been throwing his shoes at my face all morning."

"He takes after his father in his hatred for shoes," Jungkook cackled.

"Don't remind me," Taehyung groaned, rubbing his temple with comical despair. "The older he gets, the more trouble he causes. Just the other day I had to beg him for hours to let me put his shirt on him. He's been acting up so often."

Taeyang extended his little chubby arm towards me and pressed his palm against my cheek. Y/N and Taehyung both let out gasps of astonishment.

"Looks like his uncle Jiminie has a calming effect on him." Y/N beamed.

"What can I say, I love that little guy with my whole heart." I admitted and she peered at me fondly.

"Oh, excuse me, let me get that," Jungkook mumbled, patting himself for his phone that was buzzing somewhere in one of his pockets. Once he took it out, he frowned upon seeing the caller ID. "Oh shit."

"Who is it?" I asked.

"It's Quinn." He sounded nervous.

"You guys exchanged phone numbers?" I smirked. "Way to go, you player!"

Ignoring me, he grumbled something incoherent and slid his thumb across his phone screen. "Hello?"

What followed was a pause of silence during which I could hear faint rambling coming from the other line, borderline frantic.

"Wait, wait, wait, hold up," Jungkook said sternly, taking on a more somber look. "What happened exactly? Uh-huh," he nodded curtly. "Uh-huh. Yes. Uh-huh. I see. Okay. Uh-huh. Mhm. I need you to listen to me. Stay where you are and wait for us, we'll be on our way."

Just like that, he ended the call, a deep frown still very present on his face. As vaguely as ever, he cleared his throat and rubbed his chin thoughtfully, apparently not aware that we were all staring at him expectantly, including Taeyang.

"Well?!" I swatted my fist at his biceps lightly. "What was that about? It sounded important, so spill it already."

Jungkook blanched, which was a look I rarely saw on him. It was seldom that he'd get anxious.

"It's about Diane," he confided quietly. "Apparently something happened, but Quinn couldn't explain it to me very well. She said she was scared and didn't know who to call."

My heart jumped to my throat as panic flew in my veins. My breathing became more rapid, more shallow. Anxiety begun like a cluster of sparks in my abdomen.