chapter two

<friday march 12 2021 9:45 pm>

"do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?"

"hey, you were the one who came up with the idea," your brother raises his shoulders and put his hands up, playfully defending himself. you roll your eyes at jake when he responds, "i'm just saying it's worth a try."

"yeah sure," you say sarcastically.

it's not like dream will ever see it, so what's the harm in trying?  you think to yourself.

you rummage through your camera roll and find a picture of lola that looks almost identical to patches. you switch apps and open up dream's instagram dm's and start typing:

Dream

dreamwastaken

9:50 PM

                                                                                    u/n: hey dream! i love ur content and i hope ur doing well.

                                                                                    this is pretty random but i was looking at my cat named

                                                                                      lola and couldn't help but notice how similar she looks

                                                                                        to patches. my family rescued lola and we don't know

                                                                                       much about where she came from except that she was

                                                                                      from florida. i showed lola a picture of patches and she

                                                                                    started to purr and meow a lot! i thought this was a silly

                                                                                                              coincidence that i wanted to share with u :)

                                                                                                                                                                       *1 attachment*

"there, it's done. are you happy now?" you practically shove your phone in jake's face, showing him your most recent instagram dm to dream. you can't believe you just dmed dream. how stupid are you? you know he's never going to respond, he must get thousands, if not millions of dms every day!

"yep, i'm happy now," jake sits up and gets off your bed and starts walking toward the door. "let me know when he responds," he says with a sly smile as he closes the door behind him.

you check your phone, it's now 10:05 pm. normally you would stay up late, but today's school day took a toll on you. you go to the bathroom, brush your teeth and wash your face, loving how nice the warm water feels on your tired face.

you make it back to your bed and get comfortable under the covers, slowly drifting off to sleep with the sounds of dream's most recent speedrun video coming from jake's room down the hall.

*

<saturday march 13 2021 4:35 am>

you feel your phone buzz on the nightstand next to you as you groggily reach over to grab it. the brightness of your phone overwhelms you in the sea of pitch black that fills your room.

ow, that's a lovely way to wake up.

you look at your lock screen:

4:37 AM

Instagram:

2 Notifications

you hold your phone up to your half-asleep face, unlocking it. you quickly sit up in your bed, rubbing your eyes to make sure that you weren't still asleep, that the notification sitting right in front of your face is actually real.

no fucking way...