chapter three

<saturday march 13 2021 4:39 am>

"no way, no way, no way, no way, there is absolutely no way. nope, i don't believe it," you murmur to yourself. you place your phone face down on your bed, your hands shaking because of the unbelievable notification you just saw on your screen. "maybe if i just leave it there for a few seconds and i look at it again, it'll be gone because it's just my imagination."

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ... 60 ...

"okay, you can do this," you say, not even making an attempt to keep your voice down for your family that's obviously still asleep. you slowly move your trembling hand closer to your phone faced down on your comforter. as if your life moved in slow motion, you grab the corner of your phone rotating it, trying to postpone your confrontation of the alerts that you know will still be there when you phone flips over. "one... two... three," you flip your phone over and you are met with this on your screen:

4:45 AM

Instagram:

Dream

hey y/n wow that's crazy! they do look a lot alike (...)

Instagram:

Dream

would you mind if i shared this on twitter? (...)

your phone falls out of your hands, your brain unable to process what just happened. "JAKE!!!" you sprint down the hall to your brothers room, shaking him awake.

I can't believe this is happening, i can't believe this is happening, oh my gosh, oh my gosh oh my gosh.

"jake, jake, jake! wake up! wake up jake, dream responded!" jake immediately sits upright in his bed, as if he wasn't just fast asleep one minute ago.

"what?!" your brother stares at you, bug eyed, and you're prepared for his eyes to fall out of their sockets any second. "what did he say?"

"come here i'll show you, let's go," you grab your brother's hand and drag him into your bedroom, which requires a lot of effort since the both of you might as well be zombies because of how tired you are.

jake plops down on your bed as you close the door, you totally forgot that your parents are still sleeping down the hall when you went screaming for jake. jake takes your phone, urgently holds it in front of your face to unlock it and gasps as he looks at the messages that dream sent.

"what did he say?" you had only seen the previews of the messages, your first instinct was to go to your brother for help.

"you haven't read it yet?" jake exclaimed with a shocked tone.

"i was too scared!"

"mmm hmm," jake cleared his throat and begins to read the dms:

Dream

dreamwastaken

YESTERDAY 9:50 PM

                                                                                    u/n: hey dream! i love ur content and i hope ur doing well.

                                                                                    this is pretty random but i was looking at my cat named

                                                                                      lola and couldn't help but notice how similar she looks

                                                                                        to patches. my family rescued lola and we don't know

                                                                                       much about where she came from except that she was

                                                                                      from florida. i showed lola a picture of patches and she

                                                                                    started to purr and meow a lot! i thought this was a silly

                                                                                                              coincidence that i wanted to share with u :)

                                                                                                                                                                       *1 attachment*

4:35 AM

dreamwastaken: hey y/n wow that's crazy! they do

look a lot alike. it's possible that they may be

siblings! to put your theory to the test, i showed

patches a picture of lola and she started purring

like crazy!! there must be some connection there.

thank you for sharing this with me and thanks for

your support :)

would you mind if i shared this on twitter? do you

have an account i could mention? it's too good of

a discovery to be kept a secret 😁

jake rotated the screen to face you, "NO WAY NO WAY OMG JAKE THANK YOU!" you flung your arms around your brother which was something pretty unusual for you to do but you couldn't care less.

"this is insane y/n! wait," jake pulled away from you, "why did you say thank you?" a confused expression took over his face.

"because... you were the one who told me to dm him."

"true, but it was your idea," he smiled. "as much as i would love to take the credit, this one was all you."

you smile to yourself, completely in shock, knowing that your life was about to change.