'bi-polar five-year-olds'

Chapter eleven
~~Nadine~~

         'its weird that we once shared a thousand words, but now I find it hard to start a conversation'

       Saturday blows by pretty fast and soon I'm sitting on the couch on a Sunday morning watching recorded seasons of Riverdale.

Apparently SpongeBob airs the same time as Riverdale and Charlotte believes the world would end if she doesn't watch her show so being the immature adult that I am, I sulkingly record my show.

   Charlotte's sitting on the dining  with a sketch pad and the new set of crayons I just bought her. I don't know why she always does that, I literally brought her the same crayons she had before (which by the way is still usable) so that I don't have to go back to the store when that one finishes but she dumps the old one aside and starts using the new one.

I'm ten minutes knee deep into a cute bughead scene when Lottie jumps in front of me holding out her sketch pad with a wide smile.

"Look what I drew, can you guess who it is"

I squit my eyes trying to make sense of the swirls and lines she made on the sketch pad.

"Umm ..is that mommy?" I guess

She gives me a weird look "no. That's Harry"

I stare at the drawing a little more longer asif waiting for it to miraculously change to Harry's face but it just looks like what it truly is. A mess of colours on paper.

Not wanting to hurt her feelings I flash her a smile. "You know, now that I look at it from this angle it does look like harry"

She beams "can we have it framed for when Harry comes. When is he coming mommy?"

I sigh. Why does she have to like him so much.

"Well you're just in luck, Harry offered to take you to school tomorrow"

Her eyes widen in excitement and she gives me a hug "thanks Mommy, I know you don't like him because he's a big d-word but h-"

I cut her off with a frown "wait wait- who told you I don't like him"

"Aunt kelisha?"

I roll my eyes.

Trust kelisha not to keep her mouth on filter when she's with my kid.

"I don't hate him" I say softly placing a hand on her shoulder "it's more of a- um... Let's just say our personalities don't quite match"

She shrugs probably not understanding "great. Now can we go get ice-cream now?"

I smile.

It's so easy to lighten things and brush off difficult situations with kids.

Here I was battling how I as going to suddenly announce to her that the Harry's she seems to have taken an unwarranted liking for is her father but all she wants to have right now is ice-cream.

I would be better to just tell her soon, before it becomes too late.

   I'm just really worried as to how she would react. She could be happy that the man she adores is her father or she could be really mad that he's just showing up after years of being Mia and she could hate him for life.

Either way there isn't much at risk for me.

"We can go get ice-cream. But first I have to tell you something"