Chapter 30

'x'

The symbol of many things. Interpreted in different ways and pronounced and used with divergence to all walks of life.

Changing meaning form moment to moment. The current of use breaking off into different rivers where similarities and reuses cycle through.

It was endless. The meaning of 'x'. 

In this very moment, the x painted onto their arms; the ones stretched out to the sky, each varying in length and skin tone. The ones once hidden underneath old, tattered bandages that were now nowhere to be seen. These x's.

These ones were a symbol of friendship.

A client way of saying: "Of course Vivi. You will always be one of us--and never doubt it for we have sailed the sea and faced enemy after enemy together."

And it was true.

If anyone, anyone at all, were to see the intercrossed lines on their left wrists though, they would've thought otherwise.

The marines slowly approaching would have no doubt interpreted it as a negative to the princess' innocent question--that, despite it's simplicity, brought forth so many confusing and varying emotions on could only hope to understand.

'if x and y were to happen would I still be your friend?'

Higashi Akimitsu was no different. He rarely understood half of what he felt. Barely registered most emotions. And tended to keep the darker ones far, far away.

He didn't shun his emotions, no, during his training as a samurai he was always forced to come to terms with his emotions, and understood each and their own river stream.

That didn't mean he had to like all the emotions he had. He just had to accept that they were there and would--be whether he thought so or not--until he closes his eyes for good.

This is why he dreaded the day Nico Robin would ask him about his past. His past made even himself sad. And he hated being sad. He dreaded that day.

That day.

Soon that day will come.

That day...

Today.

He was glad everyone in the crew accepted Nico Robin even if it took a bit of bribery or persuasion. But he still dreaded this day. He knew Zoro had questions too, so the swordsman would obviously be listening in.

And it was not like you could get much privacy in such a small ship with such boisterous people. He was sure everyone would know all the guts and glories of Higashi Akimitsu by the end of the day.

Not taht Aki minded much. He never really found much benefit in hiding secrets. Doesn't mean he didn't have any. He had several secrets. A few he didn't plan on telling the whole population or letting become public. There were secrets that were better off kept secrets. So he'd keep them locked away, until, of course, the lock inevitably rusted and the chain breaks. And the key is no longer needed.

Aki sipped his tea, the herbal and flowery sent to it warded off the negativity that was beginning to make him restless--something else he hated to feel--. Nico Robin sat across from him, she too sipped her tea.

When she placed it down, Aki lowered his cup form his lips. He headed a faint 'clack', the familiar sound of Zoro resting his swords on an empty wall. He was going to listen in to their conversation, of course, while pretending to be asleep.

"So," Robin said. Aki turned to her and cracked a knuckle with his free hand. A habit he'd failed to break, "where to begin?"

"I find that the beginning is always promising." Aki said, setting his own cup down and turning to face the woman. "Or with the easiest questions."