Chapter 46

The birds hadn't stopped chirping since the sun rose. To some, it was a pleasure to hear their nonstop song, but for others, it had gotten annoying and they'd bust their doors open to scream at the small winged creatures until they flew away in fear.

Kazan's mom was one of those people. She, in her constant raging state, would roll the broom closet door open and would grab an old wooden broom with frayed bristles, and would swing it at the nest some songbirds made a while back. The nest was sat in the juncture between the tree trunk and a branch. It was a plum tree. Kazan could remember climbing it with Akimitsu during the summer. They'd bring a bowl to gather the good plums and toss the bad plums down on the ground for any animal that might want to eat them. It wasn't uncommon for their yard to be full of stray cats, dogs, birds, and the like. Which made him wonder why they even had the tree in the first place if his mother doesn't even like animals.

Speaking of summer, there wasn't any time to lose. Yes, the summer season in Capeinlu just started but time was of the essence.

Kazan pulled on a white t-shirt, black shorts, and flip-flops before rushing out the door. He didn't say goodbye to his mother who was still swinging the broom around violently (even though the birds had long gone), nor to his father who was most likely only just waking up.

He rushed down the street and down the dry road, clouds of dust and pale dirt kicking up with each step he took. He skidded to a stop and turned down another street, nearly running into the wall of a shop at the corner. He hopped over blankets covered in material being sold and the vendors selling them. He waved to people who waved to him and greeted them with a great grin. He passed by people who whispered among themselves as they stared at him fondly.

He headed to the darker part of town, darker meaning less illuminated (despite the risen sun). It was heavily populated in the red-light district. It's where prostitution was birthed and where prostitutes would live. It was a shabby place with most of the buildings having rotten wood or broken windows.

It wasn't like the prostitutes were discriminated against or anything, no, it's just that most of the buildings in Capeinlu were old and rotting. The currency of Berries only ever got higher and while the government of Capeinlu could easily raise the price of (currency) (the currency they use in Capeinlu and several other islands in the grand line) they refuse to since it's hard enough paying for sustenance and the like. And since (currency) isn't equal to Berries it's hard getting raw supplies to build or rebuild. But that was fine. Nobody really cared. They could live in the thick woods of Capeinlu, to the north by the cliff covered in lush green-blue grass and gorgeous flowers, and they'd all be happy still.

Kazan skidded (again) to a stop in front of a prostitute's house. He looked up to see Aki leaning out of a window on the second floor. There was a regular birch tree beside this house. The trunk was fairly thin but the branches were many. And in any corner of the tree, there were nests Aki made to help the birds. Apparently one had fallen and Aki was trying to put it back in.

The branch he was trying to reach was closest to the window, in a parallel-ish line to the building.

Kazan smiled at Aki who had his tongue sticking out of his mouth in concentration. It was a habit. It made Kazan chuckle. The chuckle alerted Aki who glanced down at Kazan. And in a moment of realization that the position he was in wasn't the most balanced, he hurriedly set the bird on the branch and struggled to maintain balance. It inevitably failed and the boy fell out the window and onto Kazan who hit the group with a loud Umph.

The two layed there, groaning in pain for a little while longer until the door opened, and out came the owner of the brothel. She looked around before looking down at them. She sighed greatly before shaking her head in a disappointed manner, but the smile on her face was prominent. She tossed them an unamused look as they rolled away from each other.

"Kazan, how many times do I have to tell you not to come here in the mornings? We need to clean the place up for work. You can't just come around here!" The owner was a young girl in her early 20's. She was raised in this building, like Aki. But she eventually became the head since they found out that her mother was the old owner of it, before she too died.

"Besides!" The woman continued. Kazan and Aki glanced at each other, "window shopping looks bad for business! And also, you're a kid! You can't just-" she gasped, exasperated, when Kazan dragged Aki away, running and laughing. Aki stared at the back of Kazan's head with a small smile.

"Man, it's so hot!" Kazan complained as he unwrapped his lime popsicle. Aki hummed as he licked the dripping liquid off his sticky fingers. They had stopped by the convenience store to get something cold, the owners radio said that it would reach the 90s that day. Kazan glanced at the boy and pursed his lips. He opened his mouth to say something, but then closed it and chomped onto his popsicle.

"Mmm! So cold!" He whined as he stuck his tongue out. Aki chuckled lightly at the shivering boy.

"That's what happens when you bite into them. Honestly, you do this every time," Aki sighed, though it's not like he was disappointed or anything. Kazan smiled at Aki before eating his popsicle in three bites. Aki stared at him with wide eyes as his barely eaten grape popsicle melted onto his already dirty yukata.

He couldn't help laughing at the scene and it made Kazan grin at the other boy and eventually laughed too. Once they calmed down, Kazan smiled at Aki fondly, a look so warm and comforting that it made the other blush.

"Aki I--"

Aki awoke sharply. He looked up at the hotel's ceiling. The hotel they were staying at in Water 7 for the time being. He sighed and sat up. The light shining into the dark room was silver and dim so he guessed the sun still hadn't risen. He paused for a moment, trying to remember what he had just dreamed.

He couldn't remember.