S e v e n t e e n

Cepheus sighed and ran his fingers through the boy's soft strands.

The nymph was completely exhausted after their time in the shower and knocked right out after his head hit the satin sheets.

The vampire felt guilt tug at his insides as he remembered the dejected expression on his mate's face. He never meant for Bay to feel unwanted or undesired; he didn't mean for the boy's needs to go unmet. He was simply being protective.

Thankfully, though, Bay seemed to be slowly moving on; the nightmares and fear didn't prolong. But Cepheus was still haunted by the boy's screams—his tears. He tried to handle Bay with soft touches and care but clearly that was not the right approach.

The vampire sighed once more before standing up from the bed and straightening out his attire.

He was clad in slacks and a white dress shirt, with the sleeves rolled up on his arms.

Quietly he left the room and closed the door, only letting a small click sound as the wood sealed shut.

It still unsettled him to leave the vulnerable nymph all alone, but the two stationed and trustworthy guards that took post outside his quarters eased his mind just a bit.

The King took steady, confident strides down the hallway, his dark eyes hard and intimidating. He was meant to go straight to the audience room, where he would meet with his council, but instead he took a short detour.

He was dressed more formally than usual, deciding to look the part of a ruler as he felt his subjects needed a reminder of their place. The council poked and prodded and made demands of him as if he were not the crowned King of their species.

It was a nuisance at first but now it had crossed the line of disrespect.

Cepheus unlocked a door and walked into the silent room. It was cool and brought on a chilling aura, reflective of its age and character.

He walked towards an antique dresser that was an array of intricate designs carved in fine wood. It stood off to the side, adjacent to the tall glass encasement that held his crown.

Cepheus opened the wide drawer that was home to an assortment of Royal jewelry.

Glittering stones and chains stared back at him, each of them holding an unfathomable value. The ornaments were passed down from each one of his family members, generation after generation. These jewels were older than him and that itself added to their prestige.

Cepheus pulled out a red stoned ring that was held in a swirled metal structure. He slid it on his index finger absentmindedly before searching for what he really came for.

It was a beautiful and delicate piece, probably worn by a family member over a lifetime ago

It was a beautiful and delicate piece, probably worn by a family member over a lifetime ago. The vampire preferred this for his just as delicate mate, rather than a traditional crown.