S e v e n

"I thought I told you to wait in the room?" Cepheus hummed when they were finally alone.

Bay looked at him sheepishly and took a step back from the vampire.

"I wanted to see you." He murmured , his eyes flickering to the side. "B-but I hope I didn't cause any trouble. That woman seemed awfully mad."

Bay nibbled on his bottom lip nervously, his arms wrapping around himself self-consciously.

The vampire's jaw ticked in annoyance at the mention of the infuriating woman but he tried to soften his eyes as to not scare the smaller boy.

"That petulant vampire is a mere nuisance. She still needs to be put in her place."

Cepheus stepped forward to close the distance between them and cupped Bay's cheek.

"I'm not upset blue. You are the last person who should fear my temper."

Bay flushed at the nickname and quickly nuzzled his head into the vampire's chest to hide from his gaze.

"Can we go see mama now? She must be so worried a-and I never meant to scare her."

Cepheus' eyes flashed in conflict. He knew that eventually he had to take his mate to see his mother, but any threat of losing the nymph had him on edge.

Not wanting to overthink, he nodded. Instantly, he could feel Bay's heart pick up in excitement.

Cepheus did a quick scan of Bay's attire and the corner of his mouth twitched up in amusement.

"Not a fan of shoes are we?"

Bay glanced down at his feet and giggled.

"I don't need shoes. I've never worn them."

The vampire nodded with a small smile and placed his hand on the small of the nymph's back.

"Lead the way then."

..

..

..

Bay quickened his footsteps as they approached the familiar lake. When crystal blue water was in sight, he fully broke out into a sprint, eager to reunite with his family.

"Bay." Cepheus said firmly. He flashed in front of the nymph and grabbed his jaw.

"I'm very on edge right now my love. I understand that you're excited but you can't just run off like that."

Bay's eyes widened and appeared doe like as he slowly nodded his head in response. He did notice that the vampire was more tense than usual. His usually brown eyes had specks of red and his fangs were slightly elongated; only noticeable when he spoke.

If he was a werewolf Bay would say that he was in some kind of partial shift.

"Is something wrong?"

Before Cepheus could answer, a voice was heard near the river.

The nymph's ears twitched as he recognized the person to be his mother.

He looked pleadingly at Cepheus, who's jaw clenched in restraint. Stiffly, he nodded his head and Bay smiled widely.

He went to run off again before he stopped himself and sped-walked instead.

An amused breath passed the vampire's lips and he slowly followed behind the nymph.

"My baby!"

A tall, young looking woman came into view and squeezed Bay tightly. Unlike her son, she had waist-length silver-blonde hair; although the two shared the same stark blue eyes. She was adorned in gorgeous jewellery that covered multiple areas of her body.

Cepheus noted that many of the nymphs were the same in that regard

The woman though, didn't look like she could be over 30.

It was pretty clear that she had been crying and her long strands blanketed her son as they basked in each other's embrace.

"How many times have I told you to stay close to the water." She chastised, before kissing his cheeks repeatedly.

"Mom" He whined. The nymph's cheeks flushed red and he managed to pull himself out of his mother's arms.

It was only when he backed into a firm chest, did he remember that he wasn't alone.

The female nymph opened her mouth in shock and her blue eyes widened. Instinctively, she took a step back.

"Bay, come here darling." She spoke quietly, her voice uneven.

The bluish boy furrowed his brows and went to speak but suddenly, more voices cut through.

"Oh by the Gods! Bay, you're okay!" Maeve's eyes sparkled as she spoke and she went to hug the nymph but her mate grabbed her hips.

"Sole, what are you doing? Bay is back, let me go."

Although Sole was barely paying attention to what Maeve was saying. His lips were pursed and his jaw tight at the vampire that was standing in front of his home.

He wasn't a fool. He knew that the creature standing before him was ancient and strong. He was no match for a being like that but he couldn't fight the instinct to defend his mate.

"Why aren't you listening? Sole w-"

Finally, her eyes noticed the large figure standing behind her small friend. A small whimper betrayed her as her limbs slackened in defeat.

To her mate's relief, she let herself be pushed behind his taller form.

Tears welled her eyes and she couldn't help but think that Bay had found himself in a position that was worse than death.

"G-guys, this is Cepheus." Bay said nervously.

The uncomfortable silence and obvious tension was making him anxious. He could see nymphs that were once swimming in the river, completely submerge themselves in the water.

A few stayed in the area, although only their eyes peered over the water's surface. He could recognize Blaise's green orbs gazing at him expectantly.

"The King" His mother whispered.

The colour had fallen from her skin and her hands grew shaky with nerves.

Maeve sniffled and tried to pass by her mate after hearing that the stranger was a supposed King. She wasn't familiar with the man nor did she recognize the power held to his name. Although she wasn't oblivious to his kind and the vulnerability of her own. Bay must really be in trouble.

"Bay what did you do?" She breathed.

The vampire's jaw twitched at her words and his eyes flashed to meet hers. Shocked, a gasp passed her lips and the nymph shrunk behind her mate in fear.

"Nothing happened. W-well something did happen...b-but nothing bad! I promise."

Bay nervously took the vampire's large hand and intertwined it with his own. Almost immediately, Cepheus pulled him into his side, resting his hand over the nymph's stomach protectively.

"We're mates."