Twenty-Four

Zane watched the nymph for a moment, his irises brightening to red, the longer he looked at his mate's delectable form.

The vampire licked his lips, almost in a trance as he reached out to touch the boy's arm, but the nymph stepped back, his eyes narrowed as he watched the vampire's arm suspiciously.

"What are you doing?" Blaise asked accusingly.

Zane clenched his jaw as his mate moved away from him but tried to keep his composure.

"I'm trying to touch my mate. Is that a problem?"

The nymph's green eyes remained fixated on Zane's vibrant pair, before he crossed his arms and side eyed the larger man.

"Maybe."

Zane withheld a frustrated hiss at his mate's stubbornness. He couldn't believe that he was standing mere steps away from his other half, but he wasn't permitted touch the boy, only look.

"And why is that?"

The vampire's voice was low as he questioned the smaller boy, and he dared to take a step forward, causing Blaise to match with a step back.

The nymph squared his shoulders and tilted his chin up to appear confident and self-assured, but his continued backward movements contradicted his head-strong display.

"B-Because I didn't give you permission."

Zane smirked and Blaise frowned as his façade faltered, his voice breaking as the vampire opposite to him grew more smug with each step he took toward his smaller form.

"I didn't realize that I needed your permission, nymph."

In a flash, the vampire reached out and grabbed the boy's arm, effectively pinning it above his head and against the cave wall behind him.

Blaise's eyes widened in surprise, but he reacted quickly and tried to use his free arm to defend himself. Although that too was quickly restrained and soon, he was trapped, only being able to squirm and wriggle beneath his mate.

"Let go of me!" He growled while baring his teeth. It was a sad attempt at appearing aggressive, but it was an attempt, nevertheless.

"Don't pretend as if you're not enjoying this," Zane murmured as he lowered his head to the nymph's neck.

And while Blaise attempted to protest, he found himself frozen in place—paralyzed— as the vampire traced his nose along the expanse of his neck and across his collarbone.

His touch and proximity, albeit painfully assertive, caused the hairs on his arm to stand upright and his breath to catch in his chest. Blaise was near winded at the actions of his mate and that realization scared him more than he would like to admit.

"Well, I don't" The nymph nearly spat, his eyes narrowed in contempt as he came back to his senses. But a chill ran down his spine as his quip was met with a husky chuckle.

"Fine."

And just like that, Blaise's limbs were freed, and a respectable distance was put between them both.

"My name is Zane, by the way, since you didn't bother asking."

The vampire's eyes remained glued to the blonde boy in front of him, his tongue tracing his fangs as he analyzed the handful that his mate appeared to be.

"But you don't seem like one that's much for manners, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised."

The insult had the nymph crossing his arms and his eyes narrowing, but his reaction only had the vampire's expression brightening.