T h i r t e e n

"Come baby"

Cepheus urged the nymph, the two of them walking swiftly through the forest.

Bay flinched at every twig snap and sound, the experience reminding him of when he wandered from home not too long ago, oblivious to the dangers of the forest.

However, it wasn't long before the two were close to their destination, luckily having not ventured out too far in the first place. Bay's heart was starting to settle and his tense form unwound at the slight comfort he felt at their close proximity.

But then his vampire froze suddenly and his jaw clenched at what Bay assumed to be eerie silence.

The nymph didn't dare speak. Even if he wanted to, his tongue was trapped in his mouth, being weighed down by fear and uncertainty.

A sudden hiss from his mate had his heart stuttering in his chest, and in an instant his protector was gone, traces of his scent left in the wind being the only indicator that he was once there.

Bay's eyes widened in fright. His mate had left him there, vulnerable and afraid. Gone to chase after one of the 'rouges' no doubt, but the shock of it was unbecoming.

The nymph whimpered and wrapped his arms around his middle, fighting the bells and whistles that rang loud in his head, signalling in every way possible that he should run.

He knew that he should stay where Cepheus had left him, he knew that it was the sensible thing to do. But instinct was taking over, and the urge to seek flight over fight was too strong.

Like an uncoordinated deer he began stumbling through the forest, his heart thumping in his chest to match the sound his footsteps made against the earth floor.

He was wandering blindly in nature's labyrinth, every breath he took and every move he made, travelling to finely tuned ears.

The nymph wasn't shocked when he heard an unfamiliar rustle in a nearby bush, but he couldn't fight the blood chilling fear that came over him when a large furry creature emerged from the leave's camouflage.

The animal was a rusty orange colour, its fur long and matted with dirt and intertwined with other forest debris. Its size was intimidating to the small boy who had only seen creatures that swim, fly or walk on two feet.

Bay just stood there, staring at the intruder with wide eyes and his feet planted in the ground like stubborn roots unwilling to move.

When the wolfish animal licked it muzzle and stepped forward, the nymph was suddenly released from terror's grip.

"P-please, don't hurt me." Bay cried, as he walked backwards. One step back for each one the wolf took forward.

The animal merely chuffed, a sound that if it were in human form, would've been an amused chuckle.

"What do you want! I-I didn't do anything."

Bay was in tears now, the salty droplets spilling down his cheeks as he felt his back meet the rough surface of a tree trunk.

Trapped.

The boy turned his head to the side as he whimpered quietly, trying not to breath in the nauseating scent the beast was procuring.

When a hand suddenly fell on his shoulder he screamed, his head flashing back to see that a man was now in the wolf's place. A tall, skinny man who was covered in dirt and grime, with thinning hair hanging from his head and beard. A man who's claws were digging into his shoulder while beady eyes watched his own as if he were ready to devour him. A man who was not his mate.

"Such a pretty face." The wolf-man mused. He removed his clawed hand from the nymph's shoulder, pulling a pained groan from the boy and causing more tears to fall thereafter.

The man dragged his bloody talon down Bay's cheek, painting the creamy flesh red. The smell of his own blood was nauseating, it made his head spin and his knees shake against the tree bark.

"And an even prettier mouth." He chuckled, putting his yellowing teeth on display.

"M-mister, p-please I-"

"Shut up!" The wolf-man growled, latching his clawed hand back onto the nymph's shoulder making the smaller boy cry out.

"Your crying is driving me fucking insane. I should just fill that pretty little mouth of yours with something to keep you quiet."

Bay wasn't quite sure what this strange man meant, but the sinister smirk and mischievous gleam in his eyes was enough to have him screaming for his mate.

"Cepheus—"

"I said shut the fuck up!" The beast roared, pressing his hand into the nymph's shoulder with even more pressure until the boy collapsed to his knees in pain.

He hiccuped and sobbed, all while scratching at the man's hand that was brutalizing and bloodying his poor limb.

"Now, open wide. And don't get fucking snot on my dick."

Bay physically gagged when he caught sight of the man's smelly appendage. It was short and fat, and no doubt, as dirty as the rest of him.

The man pulled at his length a few times and the nymph cried even more, his body rattling with each sob that left his mouth, causing him to cough and wheeze as breathing was forgotten.

But suddenly the wolf-man stilled, his mouth falling agape, and Bay hiccuped in confusion when he saw a stream of blood dribble from his mouth and crawl down his jaw.

The man was now on the ground, crumpled in a heap of skin and bones. And the nymph stared up at the vampire king in shock, who's eyes were blanketed in red while his right hand clutched the dead man's beating heart.

A strained sound emitted from the back of Bay's throat, when the King dropped the now beat-less vessel on the ground, the bloody organ rolling painfully close to his own feet.

The vampire appeared feral. His fangs were elongated and his body tense, the defined ridges of his muscles straining against the thin shirt he was wearing with every rise of his chest. And his eyes, there wasn't a drop of white in sight. While red usually coated his browns, it seemed like the satin colour flooded his eyes entirely, creating an intimidating display.

Bay's chest began to burn and he gasped suddenly, the poor boy not even realizing that he had forgotten to breathe.

His breaths were ragged and deep as he tried to ease the slight pain in his chest but he coughed, startled, as the vampire took a step forward.

"W-wait-"

Bay was hyperventilating now, his head becoming light and his chest tightening all the more while the vampire merely stared at him with a slight tilt to his head.

Cepheus appeared overcome; either with blood lust or emotion, the nymph wasn't sure. But whatever it was, it had its grip on the vampire, causing the almighty King to be a victim to his own mind, his empty eyes being proof that he wasn't all there.

This observation unsettled Bay immensely. It was getting harder to catch his breath and darkness began shuttering over his vision. Every blink seemed to last longer, and with every flutter of his lids, Cepheus appeared to come closer to his fragile self.

"W-wait"

Bay whimpered again. The closer he approached, the more pungent the smell of blood became. The scent was strong enough to make his head feel even lighter.

The nymph blinked once more except his time his eyes didn't open. His body succumbed to darkness and he could feel himself being lifted into a pair of strong arms, and a soft whisper of incoherent words being pressed to his ear.