3. Further Abilities and Collecting School Supplies

(Y/N)'s POV

For the next few days he and Dumbledore journeyed back and forth from his house to Diagon Alley as he focused on controlling his Legilimency.

The constant journeys back and forth by Knight Bus led to some nauseating moments but (Y/N) gradually got used to it.

He had made new acquaintances with the elderly witches and wizards that journeyed on the bus. Learning more about the wizarding world in a way he could actually stay awake to unlike his History of Magic class at Hogwarts, which had a less than exciting teacher.

(Y/N) found it was nice to learn about a more old school wizarding world. One that felt real and personal as he listened to the elderly with his full attention, not boring as he would just scrawl down notes on a piece of parchment.

He also found new friends in Stan Shunpike (the conductor of the Knight Bus) and Ernie Prang (the driver of the Knight Bus). As well as a very humorous shrunken head, although (Y/N) still found it difficult to hold a conversation with a head the size of a small melon.

His Legilimency control wasn't as tedious as Dumbledore made it out to be. (Y/N) was told by Dumbledore he was somewhat of a "prodigy in controlling his abilities".

(Y/N) didn't appreciate how quiet it had gotten though. While everything being so unbearably loud wasn't the best thing either, to have everything just be quiet didn't feel right. (Y/N) would look out at Diagon Alley expecting there to be yelling and shouting but it was just people having normal conversations.

It truly was boring . . . why did everything so enjoyable have to be the very same things that would hurt him later on? But there was nothing he could do about it.

Just like today, he sat at the same table outside Florean Fortescue's Ice-Cream Parlour like he had been doing the past few days. Usually with Dumbledore but today he was talking to Florean inside the shop about some type of ice cream that would never melt. Apparently he was having quite a bit of trouble with it.

So (Y/N) sat alone as he stared out at the busy street feeling positively nothing but boredom. No odd pit in his stomach, no barely noticeable ringing in his ear . . . he felt nothing but fine.

Dumbledore assured him this was a good thing, that he was already showing great mastery over his Legilimency and that he was already closing his accidental empathic connections unconsciously. But no matter how much Dumbledore assured him that was a good thing, (Y/N) wanted to feel something.

He looked towards a group of small children who appeared to be huddled in front of a window of a Quidditch shop. (Y/N) couldn't see what they were all looking at but he could tell they were excited by the way they were all squirming about.

Normally (Y/N) would've felt an odd sense of joy that would've eventually turned into a bitter taste in his mouth but he still missed it. Staring out at the children (Y/N) took a deep breath in before closing his eyes.

He felt the world grow silent around him until several voices echoed in his head.

"Apparently it's meant to be the fastest broom ever made!"

"The Irish team apparently are going to order them when it comes out!"

"I'm blowing all my pocket money when this comes out!"

(Y/N) felt happiness swirl inside him, he felt childlike wonder bursting in the air. He felt like he had just come across an oasis in the desert. The voices became clearer and clearer as joy bursted inside (Y/N).

He saw nothing until he felt an odd lurch in his stomach and his eyes snapped open. (Y/N) found his eye level had lowered considerably and he was now looking into the shop window of Quality Quidditch Supplies.