20. A Somewhat Happier Reunion

Hermione's POV

Hermione Granger had not exactly been herself for the past two weeks, and she knew it.

Her already-considerably-bushy hair was somehow even more frazzled and several strands stuck out in large clumps. Her eyes had noticeable dark circles beneath them; coupled with a faint red ring around both of them that subtly gave away the fact she had been silently sobbing for the past few days.

The way she spoke was frantic, her fingers always trembled and she was always grinding her teeth together, as well as clenching her hands together until the nails dug into her palms enough to draw small amounts of blood.

To any ordinary onlooker; she probably looked like she way a few seconds away from having a mental breakdown.

However, she couldn't help it. The past few weeks, Hermione had been alone. Despite the fact that each morning she'd wake up with her dorm mates around her getting dressed, despite the fact that people sat near her during breakfast, lunch and dinner; Hermione felt nothing but an overwhelming amount of loneliness.

And in her eyes, she had no one to blame but herself.

Before the holidays has begun, she gotten into a rather nasty fight with her best friend, (Y/N) (L/N). The fight ended in her pushing him away and him making no attempt in even fighting back against that.

And now, the holidays were over, she expected that he would want nothing to do with her.

During the holidays, Hermione had gotten into another fight; however this want was far more vicious in its aftermath. After a suspicious parcel had been delivered to her friend, Harry Potter, Hermione thought she was in the right in assuming that it would be dangerous and it needed to be properly guaranteed to be to safe to use.

However, it was clear that she was the only one who thought so.

After reporting the suspicious item to a teacher and that same item being confiscated, Hermione was left by her remaining two friends, Harry Potter and Ron Weasley.

In the moment, Hermione was convinced she was right and doing the safe thing. But now, she regretted her actions with each tear shed as she wanted nothing more than to apologise and have someone to truly talk to.

But she couldn't have that. She didn't even know where to start when it came to apologising.

So that led her to this day, where she was rapidly knocking on the door of a familiar hut; with a large amount of books and papers in hand.

The door of the hut swung open to reveal a gigantic man with an enormous shaggy mane of black hair. This man was called Rubeus Hagrid; and he didn't look like he was in a better state than Hermione was at in the moment.

"Hermione?" he said, looking down at the girl; his face tear stained and his beard wet and filthy with what Hermione assumed to be mead and random food. "What're ya doin' 'ere?"

"Hi Hagrid," she said, pushing past him somehow, letting herself into his hut. Her head low as she dropped all the books onto Hagrid's large dining table; quickly picking up the papers to rearrange them back in order.

"Wha's all this?" question Hagrid, picking up one of the heavy books and making it seem like a child's diary in his enormous hands.

"Things to help with Buckbeak's case," answered Hermione, brushing hanging strands from her dishevelled hair out of her face.

"Ya didn' hav ter do all this."

"Oh nonsense, Buckbeak's — Buckbeak needs all the help he can get. If you're right about the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures; then you'll need all of this stuff to help make a strong and positive argument."