19. A Not So Happy Return

(Y/N)'s POV

The rest of the holidays were uneventful and quick.

(Y/N) felt as if he had blinked since he had returned from Diagon Alley and he was already standing back at King's Cross Station.

His mum and dad by his side, as they walked towards the barrier that lead to Platform Nine and Three Quarters.

They walked through it with ease and soon the three of them stood in front of the scarlet steam engine: the Hogwarts Express.

"Now," said Eve, patting down (Y/N)'s arms. "Have you got all your things?"

"Mum, I hardly took anything out of my trunk."

"I just wanted to make sure," she responded, running her fingers through his hair. "God, I wish you would comb this stuff."

"Ah leave him be," said Adam. "You're the reason he's got such shaggy hair."

"I'm the reason?" said Eve, sounding reasonably affronted.

"You have haircuts every other week, love," responded Adam hurriedly, seeing a reason to justify his statement. "I only meant that his grows like that because he got that from you."

(Y/N) smiled as he heard a meow come from Soot's cage. Turning around, he saw her green eyes staring out at him from her cage; which lay on top of the trolley he had put all his things on.

"I'm know, I know," said (Y/N), sticking his finger through the bars of the cage so Soot could nuzzle against it. "They both talk way too much."

Feeling a rough hand ruffle his hair, (Y/N) turned around to be pulled into a hug from his dad. "Call us when you get there," said Adam.

"I can't do that, dad, remember?" said (Y/N) with an eye roll. "Hogwarts doesn't work with Muggle technology."

"Oh yeah," said Adam, releasing his son from the hug. "Well, send us a letter then."

"Will do."

Suddenly (Y/N) felt his cheeks being grabbed as his mum pulled him closer to kiss his forehead. "I want a letter from you tomorrow, alright? Remember your promise."

"Alright, alright," said (Y/N) breathlessly, pulling away from his parents. "Can I get on the train now?"

His parents let him do just that and soon the train began to depart. (Y/N) waved out the window to his parents as the train pulled further away from the platform.

Soon the platform disappeared from view entirely as the train began its journey. This let (Y/N) settle back into his seat before hearing a series of meows.

"You are one gigantic furry handful, aren't you?" said (Y/N), unlatching the the lock on Soot's cage; the jet-black cat quickly springing out onto his lap.

Soot mewled happily as she curled up into a ball as (Y/N) stroked her back. It took virtually no time at all before Soot began to purr contently as she drifted off to sleep.

(Y/N) smiled at the sight, before resting his head and relaxing his shoulders as he drifted off into a nap of his own.

...

(Y/N) didn't know how much time had passed when he felt himself being shook awake by the rumbling train. However, unlike his last journey on the train, he wasn't greeted by the dreamy expression of Luna Lovegood. He still remained the only one in the compartment since the train's departure.

Looking down at his lap, (Y/N) saw that Soot was still purring in comfort as she slept. His lips curled into a smile at the sight of the sleeping furball in his lap.