6. An Encounter with a Dementor

(Y/N)'s POV

(Y/N) woke up early that morning they were meant to depart for King's Cross. He got dressed quickly before making his way over to the windowsill of his room with a piece of parchment, his raven-feather quill and a bottle of ink.

He placed the parchment and ink bottle on the windowsill before dipping his quill into the ink bottle as he began to write a letter.

Hi mum and dad,

I'm writing to let you know that I've been at the Leaky Cauldron and that it's not going to be long before I have to go to King's Cross and get on the Hogwarts Express.

I've met up with the Hermione, Harry and the Weasley's. They're all good and they've all had great holidays (well maybe Harry's was less than great. He blew up his aunt, like you'd blow up a balloon though. So don't worry that I'm hanging out with a murderer or something).

I'm going to write again tomorrow in the morning during breakfast at Hogwarts, I just wanted to say hello.

Love the both of you,
(Y/N)

(Y/N) dried his quill off before placing it to one side and put the lid back on his ink bottle. He rolled up the parchment before fastening it shut with some string.

Opening the door and walking out of his room, (Y/N) journeyed down the passage to room number eleven where he promptly knocked on the door.

The door opened to show the very frazzled Harry with Hedwig perching on his shoulder. "Morning, (Y/N)," said Harry, as he walked further into his room. "D'you need something?"

"Well I kinda need Hedwig to —"

At the mention of her name, Hedwig quickly fluttered her wings and flew across the room to land on (Y/N)'s shoulder and hoot happily.

" — post a letter . . ."

Harry just sighed before reaching for a cup of tea he had placed on the bed. "If you want to go, just go," he said, slurping his tea.

(Y/N) didn't know what to say out of confusion until Hedwig hooted once before she began to peck at the parchment in (Y/N)'s hand. It became apparent to him that Harry was addressing Hedwig and he just started to prep Hedwig.

He tied the piece of parchment to her leg before he moved over to the window and opened it wide. "Alright Hedwig," said (Y/N), stretching his arm out so Hedwig could perch on his forearm. "I just want you to take this over to my house and deliver it to my parents. They're Muggles and don't really use owl post so maybe just try stuffing the letter into the letter slot and flying back to try and catch up with the Hogwarts Express."

Hedwig hooted in acknowledgement before wasting no time in taking off into the open air and soaring high into the sky towards (Y/N)'s house. Keeping his focus on Hedwig, (Y/N) was  startled when Harry suddenly spoke.

"We were having a fight," he said, placing his now empty cup of tea on the top of his closed trunk. "I just wanted her to go back into her cage, but no all she did was hoot at me and flapped her wings in my face."

(Y/N) just turned back around and spoke as he walked to the door. "She just wants to fly Harry. She's a bird first and foremost, she was practically ecstatic when she knew I wanted her to send a letter to someone."

(Y/N)'s hand grasped the door handle and Harry spoke once more, "Are you an owl-whisperer now?"

"Well you can't deny I am a jack of all trades, can you Harry?"

He just snickered before he continues to pack up and simply said, "Sure you are."

(Y/N) snickered back and said goodbye to Harry before he walked out of Harry's room before returning to his own to check on all his own stuff.