7. Back at Hogwarts

Harry's POV

"Harry! Harry! Are you alright?"

Harry felt sharps slaps on his face as the world blinded him when he opened his eyes. "W-what?"

The lanterns were above him, and the floor was shaking. The train must've started moving again. He seemed to have slid out of his seat onto the floor.

Ron and Ginny were kneeling next to him, and above them he could see Neville and Professor Lupin watching. Harry felt sick to his stomach, when he put up his hand to push his glasses back on, he felt a cold sweat in his face,

Ron and Ginny heaved him back to his seat.

"Are you okay?" Ron said nervously.

"Yeah," said Harry, turning his head quickly to the door. The hooded creature had vanished. "What happened? Where's that — that thing?" Who screamed?"

"No one screamed," said Ron confused.

Harry looked around the bright compartment. Ginny and Neville looked back at him, both very pale. Ron sat back in his seat, his hands trembling.

Next he saw (Y/N) and Hermione. (Y/N) looked to be on a worse state than him, his eyes were wide, his face was slightly sweaty, undoubtedly the same kind of cold sweat that Harry had on his face.

Hermione had her face buried in (Y/N)'s shoulder, she seemed to be clinging to the rattled (Y/N). Harry glanced down and saw that (Y/N)'s and Hermione's fingers were interlaced.

A loud snap made them all jump. Professor Lupin was breaking an enormous slab of chocolate into pieces.

"Here," he said to Harry, handing him and (Y/N) both particularly large pieces. "Eat it. It'll help."

Harry took the chocolate but he didn't eat it. "What was that thing?" he asked Lupin.

"A Dementor," said Lupin, who was now giving chocolate to everyone else. "One of the Dementors of Azkaban.

"Eat," he repeated. "It'll help. I need to speak to the driver, excuse me . . ."

Lupin moved past Harry and disappeared into the corridor.

"Are you sure you're okay, Harry?" said Hermione, pulling herself away from (Y/N) and readjusted her seating position. Although she kept her fingers interlaced with (Y/N)'s.

"I don't get it . . . what happened?" said Harry, wiping more sweat off his face.

"I thought you were having a fit or something," said Ron, his hands still trembling. "You went sort of rigid and fell out of your seat and started twitching —"

"And then Professor Lupin stepped over you, and walked towards the Dementor, and pulled out his wand," said Hermione. "And he said, 'None of us is hiding Sirius Black under our cloaks. Go.' But the Dementor didn't move, so Lupin muttered something, and a silvery thing shout out of his wand at it, and it turned round and sort of glided away . . ."

"It was horrible," said Neville, on a higher voice than usual. "Did you feel how cold it went when it came in?"

"I felt weird," said Ron, shifting his shoulders uncomfortably. "Like I'd never be cheerful again."

"But didn't any of you — fall off your seat?" said Harry awkwardly.

Everyone in the cabin shook their head, except (Y/N). He hadn't spoken since Harry had been slapped back awake, his eyes seemed foggy as he had a blank-eyed stare as he looked up towards the ceiling of the compartment, his breathing seeming heavy and ragged.