11. Birthday Presents

Hermione's POV

It didn't take long for Defence Against the Dark Arts to become a favourite class for most people.

There was only of few who had anything bad to say about Professor Lupin. People like Draco Malfoy and his gang of Slytherins.

"Look at the state of his robes," Malfoy would say in a loud whisper as Professor Lupin walked past. "He dresses like our old house elf."

However these comments would not always fall on deaf ears. Sometimes Malfoy or his gang of Slytherins would be inexplicably jinxed by some unknown person.

Whether that be their legs jerking about uncontrollably as they try to walk to class or a gigantic pumpkin forming around their heads, causing them to run about frantically until they eventually collide with one another and the pumpkins burst open.

Each time it caused laughs and cheers and had thoroughly humiliated Malfoy and his little gang.

Although Hermione didn't want to condone this use of magic, she couldn't help but snicker at the sight of the Slytherins. And even though some of the teachers had voiced their mild displeasure at this blatant rule-breaking, she felt a strong sense of admiration towards this person.

Professor Lupin also seemed to take some sort of silent joy in seeing these Slytherins come in late to his classes. Mumbling half-arsed excuses before sitting in their seats and putting their heads down to do the work.

The work was also a highlight in Professor Lupin's classes. The work that he was setting for the class felt interesting and Hermione wasn't the only one who thought so.

Every Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson, it seemed like her hand wasn't the only one raised during the lesson. People were excited to answer the questions.

After Boggarts, they moved on to Red Caps, nasty little goblin-like creatures that lurked wherever there was bloodshed, in the dungeons of castles and the potholes of deserted battlefields, waiting to bludgeon anyone unlucky enough to get lost.

From Red Caps, they moved on to Kappas, creepy water-dwelling creatures that looked like scaly monkeys, they had webbed hands that were also wanting to strangle unwitting waders in their ponds.

However, there was a particular class where a lot were suffering. Potions class became an unenjoyable experience for most, after the news of the Boggart of Snape wearing a dress, he had been in a foul, vindictive mood.

His eyes always burned with rage at the mention of Professor Lupin's name, and he had been bullying Neville worse than ever.

Hermione also found Divination to be a particularly hellish lesson. Sitting in some dusty attic on ridiculous chairs as they deciphered lop-sided shapes and symbols that Hermione despised looking at.

The only pleasant experience that Hermione got during the whole class was the over the top imitations that (Y/N) did every time Professor Trelawney passed by Harry with her enormous eyes full of tears.

Another bad thing that came from Divination was the insufferable attitudes of Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil. They followed Professor Trelawney with blind devotion, haunting her tower at lunchtimes and they always returned with superior, snobby looks on their faces, as if they knew something that everyone else didn't.

Despite Hermione's love of Hagrid, she found no enjoyment in Care of Magical Creatures. After the incident of Malfoy and Buckbeak, Hagrid's confidence had faded and his class had become very dull.

They were now spending lesson after lesson learning how to feed Flobberworms, which had to be the most disgusting and boring creatures in the world.