Chapter Twenty-five

Michael

I held onto Amelia's hand from where I sat to the right of her hospital cot. It's only been a few hours since her pack first brought us here, the sun was now well set and the moon at its full peak in crescent form.

"Alpha Michael." A voice spoke up after clearing their throat.

I turned to see the man who had first stepped forward to take Amelia to get help, I couldn't help but notice how his eyes were a similar colour to my Amelia's, a cool crisp blue. I raised an eyebrow at him to go on, without saying a word myself.

He offered me a small smile. "I brought you some dinner, thought you might like to eat." The young man offered me a tray of food. "You're no good to her if you don't take care of yourself too." He added quickly when I opened my mouth to decline his kind offer.

I gave him a forced smile and took the tray from him with my hand that wasn't holding on to my little mates, I rested the tray on my lap before looking back to the man. "What's your name?" I couldn't help the stern tone in my voice, it was a habit of mine to ask most questions with such stern tones, to anyone who wasn't my mate that is.

"Alroy, sir." He said plainly as his eyes cast away from me an to look down on my mate instead. 

I nodded, even though I knew he wasn't looking. "And what is your position in this pack Alroy?" Normally I would be bothered at another man having his eyes on my mate, especially for such a long period of time, but she was his Alpha and she was in for a lifetime of eyes on her. I could also tell, something about his demeanor that he wouldn't go against the wills of the Goddess.

Alroy seemed to shift seeming slightly uncomfortable by my question. He pulled up a seat and sat on the opposite side of Amelia to myself. "My father didn't believe much in pack positions. He only cared for his title and anyone else was disposable. We all became fighters, warriors, doctors, and defenders. We became whatever we needed to be in order to please him."

"Your father?" My eyebrows knitted together as I stared over my mate at him. "Luka was your father?" I could feel the rage boiling inside my veins at the mention of his name, he had done this to my mate. He had hurt her and almost killed her. He had killed her parents and blamed it on my sweet Amelia. He had cast her out to live the life of a rouge. 

"Sadly." Alroy's voice brought be back from my rage. "We didn't believe in what my father stood for. He was a very sick man, very sick indeed to do this to his own blood." His eyes cast sadly down to look at Amelia's face. I could see the regret he held in his face as he watched her closely. "He's been hunting her for years, gave her a decades head start to run before he finally decided he didn't have enough power and wanted her dead." He pauses as he finally looks back to me with sorrow, I nod at him to continue. "We followed after him, not all of us most stayed behind to guard the pack grounds. But myself along with my most trusted men and women, we came to see why it was so important that my cousin dies. We had always been skeptical over the stories he fed us about her, about her mental health issues as a young pup, about her rage which resulted in our previous Alpha and Luna. We were hoping he's reveal the truth if we watched from a distance for long enough." Alroy gives me a small one shoulder shrug. "Which he did."

I was quiet a long moment. "I'm sorry you had to deal with a father like that." I say genuinely before I began to pick at my food. Venison sausages, baked beans, and fire roasted potatoes. "So you don't have a Beta, or a head of your warriors then?" I spoke with my mouthful, not caring how rude it would seem.

Alroy shook his head. "We just have your Alpha now." His sad eyes looked at Amelia for a brief second before he pushed his feelings down and looked up at me. "It's not all that bad, we're all family so we work well together. We all understand what is needed and expected of us, and that's exactly what we do." He pauses as he looks at me a long minute. "But I'm sure some changes will come about when you and my cousin gift each other with your marks." A smile is offered from his lips, which I return.

I couldn't wait to mark Amelia to be mine fully and completely, for me to be hers as much as she was mine. I've been holding back because I knew she was even skeptical about being around me at times, I knew she wanted to leave and she wanted to run away- which I never fully understood until I saw her breaking earlier today when she thought I believed her to kill her own parents, when I found out about her past. I could see her internal breakdown as clear as if it were happening externally, she had lived for so long with the guilt and grief of her parents deaths only to find out after all this time that it was all a lie. I held back from marking her because I knew she was scared of being in a pack again, I knew she was skittish around most people seeing as what she overheard at one of the pack meetings- I also don't blame her, anyone who would have gone through her situation would react the same if not worse than she has. My Amelia, so strong to have had lived through so much, which is also how I know she's going to be a strong and courageous and powerful Alpha for her pack. My little mate, the leader of her people.

"Alpha." Alroy's words seemed panicked. 

Though when I looked up at him his eyes were on my mate instead, his Alpha. I looked at Amelia myself to see her complexion having paled dramatically since we had been sitting here. My ears zoned in on her growing faint heart beat. "Amelia." I said through a low growl. I stood up abruptly as he heart stopped beating, my food tray falling to my feet but I didn't give it a second though.

Alroy's head whipped around, he was looking for the doctor only to come up short. He was quick to start administering CPR to Amelia, his hands pumping at  her chest in even beats, I gave her two rescue breaths for every thirty beats Alroy gave. During my last round of rescue breaths Alroy had picked up a large syringe from a near by tray and stabbed it into her heart when it came to give chest compressions again, emptying the syringe into Amelia's heart his eyes lifted to mine. "Adrenaline, should help get her heart started again." I nodded. So it was true, the members of this pack had to learn to do every job incase they were needed, it was actually somewhat smart to have warriors trained in medical as well.

Thump....Thump.... Thump...

It was coming very faint to start with before it started growing stronger very fast until it almost sounded like her heart was racing to catch up, but that could probably just be the adrenaline coursing through her veins right now.

Alroy grabbed a small flash light from the same tray table he picked the syringe up from before forcing one of Amelia's eyes open and shining it in to check her pupillary response. He pulled away quickly and took a step back. "What the fuck."

I growl at him for using such language when in relation to my mate. "What?" I ask through gritted teeth.

"Her eyes... they're..." He trailed off and nodded for me to look myself.

I cupped Amelia's face in my right hand, stroking her cheek lightly with my thumb. My left hand hovered above her right eye for a long second before my thumb coaxed her eyelid upwards, so I could look at her eyes. I let out a breath as I stared down at her sea blue eyes now filled with silver. I closed her eye again and pressed my lips to her forehead. "What does that mean?" I asked when I turned to Alroy minutes later.

His eyes seemed to study mine for a long minute before he opened and closed his mouth several times like a gold fish. "Your eyes are lilac, do you know why?" He asked, his voice seemed to be calm again.

"I..." My eyebrows knitted together as I thought back to the time when my eyes use to be a dark rich brown. "My father didn't want me to be weak, so each day he would inject me with wolfsbane to build up my tolerance little by little until I became tolerant of it."

Alroy gave me a small nod. "You're immune to Wolfsbane, and I am beginning to suspect that my Alpha is immune to silver now." He turned to look at her with amazement, I followed suit.

Immune to silver? Was that really possible? I knew my Amelia was strong, but to have enough strength to control the silver that had been stabbed into her body rather than repel it, my girl was truly something else, something very special.