Chapter Twenty-eight

My fingers were laced between Michaels, holding onto his large hand as he flew the helicopter. We had decided to take air travel so that we would arrive at my pack in only a few hours rather than a whole day and a half run it would have taken in wolf form.  Michael flew the helicopter with me up front, Alroy and five other pack members- Jarred, Lisa, Markus, Adriane, and Elliot- sat in the seats behind us. They had all been telling me of their rolls in the pack, I had learn that since my uncle had become Alpha he has disbanded any role but his own and forced all the other pack members to trail for every role. My uncle had only seen them as disposable bodies, which horrified me at the thought that he never cared for any of the pack members, not even his own son.  While the eight of us flew to the pack grounds, the rest of the pack who had come to Michaels pack grounds, having followed Luka there, had decided they would take the  run back- I had offered them other options of transport but they all wanted to let their wolves out to run which I didn't blame them for that.

For every one of my pack members who had been near the pack grounds of Michael's pack, I had already talked with them yesterday evening about the idea Michael and I had about merging the two packs. No one seemed to have a problem with that, though they all did seem a little confused about who would be Alpha. 

Michael and I had planned to lead together, both of us Alpha's. We'd be the first pack with two Alpha's in history. We would each have equal say in pack decisions and neither of us would be able to overrule the other. If we came to a disagreement then we would talk it out between ourselves or we would take it to a vote with the pack. We'd spent most of the day talking over our roles, trying to plan out the best way to merge the two packs. A lot of it was still uncertain, but we had an abundance of time to figure it out. 

We had planned to spend the next few days with my pack, so that I could get to know everyone in order for me to make all the right decisions on their behalves. While we're away, Branson has been left in charge of Michael's pack, with the very firm message being left to mindlink Michael for anything at all that needs his prior approval and to ultimately not burn the pack down- which we all know Branson is fully capable of taking care of the pack in Michael's absence, seeing is he is Beta after all, doesn't stop Michael from teasing him though.

I had no Beta of my own to turn to, no one who had been running the pack while we'd been with Michael's pack. And no one had been left in charge since Luka had left them two months ago to track me down. I had doubts about what we would find when we arrived, I half expected chaos to greet us, but Alroy had ensured me that our pack seems to work well as a whole- like one big family- he had said. Alroy had been mindlinking with the pack since he'd left with a group of pack members to follow after Luka, and he hasn't been told of anything going wrong. Though when they had a leader like Luka, where they all had to train to be every member of the pack, they all learnt to lean on each other.

Since I'd woken up yesterday in Michael's bedroom after having healed from my silver wound, I had been able to hear my pack members in my head. It had taken a lot to get use to having voices other than my wolf in my head. Heck, I'm still not use to it. Alroy had informed me that no one would be direct mindlinking me until after I'd met the pack properly, apparently he'd told them all to keep quiet and leave me be while I recover. I'm very grateful for that, easing my way back in to a pack seems the best for my mental health. Though I feel like I'm going to have to dive all the way in as soon as this chopper lands.

It still doesn't quite feel real just yet. It feels like I'm having some strange dream or I'm stuck in an alternate universe. It feels hard enough to believe that I'm a part of a pack again after all this time, let alone the fact that I'm the packs Alpha.

As my parents first born, I was always intended on taking over for my Papa as Alpha when he decided to retire. Some of my earliest memories of my parents are when they'd take me to work with them, Papa would sit me on his lap and teach me all about the other packs near us, he'd teach me all about what it meant to be Alpha of the Shadows pack, and he taught me how to fight like an Alpha. My Papa, the greatest Alpha known to this continent, and now I get to attempt to follow in his foot steps.

A hand grabbed my shoulder lightly, I turned slightly in my seat to see Alroy leaning forward on his own. "Alpha, when we land, our first priority is to get you settled into the pack house. There will be a few pack members waiting to lay eyes on the new Alpha, but they understand they will get to meet your properly once you're settled in." He gives me a small smile.

I nod. "Thank you Alroy." 

With that he lets go of my shoulder and moves back into his chair properly.

I turn back to look out the front of the helicopter, watching all the tree heads that we pass over. There hadn't been any large cities on our flight path, just a couple small towns and then a whole lot of trees and country side.

Michael's hand around mine squeezed lightly causing me to turn my head to him. His eyes were focused on our flight path but he wore a smile on his face which I knew was intended for me. He nodded his head forward once to indicate me to look at where he was looking.

I followed his gaze to see a large building, it had to be at least twice the size of Michael's pack house. The building stood tall with what looked light at least four stories of gray brick, large parts of the building that weren't holding doors or windows were covered in beautiful looking ivy. My gaze then found the large group of people gathered near the building, there had to be at least three hundred men, women, and children standing there looking up at us. So much for a small group wanting to see me.

It was only minutes before Michael was pulling us down to land ten meters away from the crowd that had gathered. The second the helicopter had touched down and powered off everyone in the back filed out. Michael and I stayed in our seats for a minute longer. 

"Are you ready for this?" His hand gave mine a supportive squeeze as his eyes locked onto mine.

I gave a small nod. "No backing out now, not that I want to. Not at all." I could feel excitement coursing through my veins. My people, my family, my pack. 

"You've got this." He gave me a sly wink before leaning forward to plant a small kiss on my lips. "After you, Alpha." 

I smiled up at him, Goddess he is just perfect. I let out a deep breath before I pulled my hand out of Michael's and climbed out of the helicopter. Alroy stood just a few feet away from the helicopter now, the rest of our travel group had gone off to join the crowd that seemed to just keep growing in size, he gave me a small smile before heading off to lead Michael and I to the large pack house. Michael came to stand next to me, having made his way from his side of the helicopter to meet me, and rested his hand on the small of my back. As we grew closer to the crowd their heads turned down in a bow, and it wasn't until we were less than a meter from the front of the crowd that they all started, one by one, getting down on one knee and placed their opposite fist into the ground. I turned my head in confusion to Michael as we continued to walk through the path that had been made for us to get through the mass of people. "What are they doing?" I asked quietly.

Michael smiles at me, such a warm smile. "This is how they show you that they accept you, that they submit to you." He whispers in my ear, sending a shiver down my spine.