[12] - metanoia

There was no class so Todoroki took the chance to visit his mother.

He walked on both peaceful and busy streets with the thought of seeing his Mom after a long time bothering his mind, also the words that [y/n] had said to him last night while they were admiring the view of the night sky.

“You should go visit your mother, Shoto. I'm sure she'd be delighted to see you.”

Todoroki closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

'I don't care if he comes insulting me when he comes back. It's not like he comes home tonight anyway.'

His eyes then narrowed.

'I'll see her no matter what.'

-

"Shoto.... is that you..?"

Rei could not believe her eyes. He was there, standing right in front of her with eyes that reminded her nothing of Todoroki's young self. Her son. He was staring right back at her with a relatively stoic face.

"Yes, it's me... Mom," Todoroki replied and he also could feel his heartbeat risen. He watched as tears slowly welled up in her eyes.

"You've grown up into a young handsome boy," Behind her tears was a small smile and for once, Todoroki wanted to cry. Because after years, he's finally seen her. He can finally hug her, touch her, and talk to her.

He watched her stand up and spread her arms open, reminding him so much of the girl with [h/c] he cried on yesterday.

"Come here, Shoto."

She was smiling while still holding back her tears, patiently waiting for her son to run and embrace her in a hug.

And for a few silence, he gulped and ran to her.

He wrapped his arms around his mother's tiny waist while she put hers on his back, rubbing circles the way [y/n] did. Todoroki was going crazy. Literally everything just reminded him of her.

"I'm sorry, Shoto... I didn't know what I was thinking....." Rei began sobbing under her breath. Todoroki's tears threatened to fall when he listened to her speak, "I hurt you and yet, you still came for me."

"You're my mother, I can't... I..." Todoroki didn't know what to say. It has just been too long since they encountered. Being in her arms felt foreign, it felt new even when she was the only person he cried on when he was only a child. But now that she came in his life, he felt a new sensation of nostalgia.

His mother's touch felt like [y/n]'s touch.

"It's okay, shh," Rei shushed him politely and decided to embrace each other for more seconds. Those seconds of them hugging each other were to pay for those years they missed together. All because of one terrible man.

-

"I want to defeat him by breaking his dream apart. I want him to stay rotten forever without anyone he could use."

"I see... what about your siblings? Fuyumi? Natsuo? And..."

Todoroki hesitated, "They're fine. Natsuo's in college now."

"Please tell him how proud I am for him when you go home. Also, send Fuyumi my regards and a 'thank you' for taking care of you on behalf of myself. And To—"

"I will."

Rei smiled weakly as she landed her hand on top of his son's. Todoroki looked up at her, his gaze as cold as ice, "How are you, Shoto? Don't tell me you're only focusing on betraying your Father. Are you... finally happy?"

'Yes.'

"Is there someone taking care of you emotionally?"

'There is now.'

"Do you... like someone?"

'I d—huh?'

Todoroki blinked in oblivion. Giggling heartily, Rei lopsided a warm smile, "I can tell. There's no complete sadness in your eyes anymore, son. I can see how your eyes sparkle, I know why because I've been through that before."

Todoroki somehow anticipated for her to continue. It was strange but he wanted to hear it again.

"Do you like someone, Shoto?"

-

"Do you like someone, Shoto?"

Todoroki had his head hung low while walking towards the direction of the park, completely ignoring the people laughing with their children and lovers or best friends. His mind was too occupied by that one single question.

Did he like someone?

Was there someone who made his eyes sparkle just like what his mother said?

"[y/n]..." He muttered under his breath. Being utterly oblivious, his face heated up when an image of a smiling [y/n] projected in his mind.

Did he like [y/n]?

Was [y/n] the one who changed him?

Was it [y/n] who made him forget he had a heart so cold that no one could melt it?

Was he really in love with a girl—who wasn't actually his neighbor—who also had that addicting cherry blossom scent and a heart of loneliness filled by her parents? Was he in love with a girl who played the flute to let her feelings escape every spring?

Was he really in love with her?

"Shoto!"

Todoroki perked up his head and was met by a pair of twinkling [e/c] eyes. [y/n] was waving excitedly at him from afar, the wide grin on her face outshining the setting sun. Her white dress danced along the wind along with pink and orange leaves from trees. Her [h/l] hair looked like a piece of plume being softly carried away by the wind.

"I bought mochi!"

Her sweet voice sounded like an instrumental melody being played in his ears. She was breathtaking even from far away especially with the sun behind her causing her to look like a phoenix just passing by. He couldn't move, let alone speak. He was too distracted by the ethereal beauty she brought out without even trying.

"By the way, I already ate five and I'm not even sorry!"

Watching her laugh so dearly made his lips curve upwards, forming into a smile. A smile of love and care for someone who gave him both love and care back these past few days.

'Turns out, it's true. I do like her.'

He smiled lovingly, now staring at the girl he realized he had loved, "I like [y/n] [l/n], the girl with the cherry blossom scent who plays the flute to let out her emotions. The girl who has been with me since the beginning."

-

#2: Zombie by Day6