All You Had to Do Was Stay

Not everything can have a happy ending guys...

-----

Luke answered his phone without hesitation.

This was a mistake.

"Hello?"

"Luke, oh my g-hi. Hi, um, it's Cal."

He almost dropped his phone. Luke kind of wanted to throw it across the room, actually.

"Calum," He breathed.

"Y-yeah. I'm in town, visiting my mum."

"God, I...I don't know what to say."

"Maybe we should um...talk in person? Sorry, it's just easier."

"No, it's fine. Sounds good. How about you come to mine?"

"Alright, see you."

Luke tossed his phone on the bed with bitterness.

Calum was back. The same Calum who, two months ago, left him for bigger and better things in London.

He had left without even consulting Luke. It hurt, a lot. And now at he was back, it was like cutting open an old scar.

And he had left just as Luke was going to tell Calum that he loved him.

Suddenly, a car was pulling up to the house. Luke swallowed nervously.

One knock. Two knocks.

Luke's feet moved to the door on their own. He unlocked it, and there he was.

The person who he was trying to push to the back of his mind.

"Luke," Calum whispered. Luke's heart pulsed to life with longing-no. He can't let Calum back in again, not after what happened.

"Hi." Calum was just as attractive as he'd always been.

"Hi. Can I come in?"

Luke stepped out of the way to let him in.

Calum sat down on his white couch, and Luke sat on the chair across from him.

"So, go ahead. Why, Calum, why?" Luke just wanted to get this over with.

"I don't know why. I was stupid, and dumb. I thought my career was more valuable than friends, or family, or you. Which is foolish, because..."

"Because why?"

"Nothing. Look, point is, I've changed Luke-"

"Tell me what you mean by because. If you can't be honest, Ca-"

"I was in love with you Luke, alright?!"

The living room fell silent.

"I was going to...I was going to tell you, but I thought that you'd leave me for someone better. Because you could do so much better, Luke. So I decided to leave before I could face that fact, that pain."

"How am I supposed to believe that you've changed, Calum? You just...left me. No warning, nothing."

"I can't convince you to believe anything I say, I can only trust that you do. I'm a coward, Luke, I couldn't face the fear of watching someone better than me replace my spot by your side."

"How could you give into such a blatant lie, Calum?!? I was in love with you, and was going to tell you just that. But of course, you go off without a hitch! You know, all you had to do was stay."

"My head had me convinced, and I thought I was doing the right thing! I thought you wouldn't love me."

"Well, isn't this what you wanted, Calum? All I wanted was you, until you left me!"

"I never wanted this, Luke, let's get that clear."

"Too late now, Hood! If you'd stayed, you would've had a chance."

"Luke, you-"

"You obviously didn't want me! I was so idiotic-"

"Luke! Please, just stop," Calum begged.

The blonde was about to protest and continue bashing Calum, but the dark haired boy let out a sound.

It was a familiar sound, one Luke had heard many a time when Calum had a nightmare, or they were watching a sad movie.

The sound was a sob.

Luke stood, and sat next to him on the couch.

"I'm s-sorry, Luke. I really am. God, I'm sobbing on your c-couch. How pathetic, h-huh?" Calum chuckled darkly.

And that's when Luke knew that Calum was being completely sincere.

He cupped Calum's cheeks, and he turned his head to face Luke.

"Calum, I'm sorry for not believing you."

"It's alright, I don't blame you."

"Can I tell you something?"

Calum nodded.

"I'm still in love with you." And it was true. The blonde had been trying to deny it ever since Calum left, but it was true.

Luke pressed his lips against Calum's, and his heart practically mended itself back together.

"I am so in love with you, Lukey."

And Calum wrapped his arms around Luke, kissing him again.

And he did stay. With Luke, until their time on earth came to a close.
-----
Lmao jk I'm too sappy and too cake af, don't worry guys
But yeah let's talk about how stupid my one shots are nowadays