Flashbacks - Third Time's the Charm

"An actual date?" The girls in her room crowd around her and she isn't dressing in something dark for once. She's in a white blouse, a black jean skirt, and she looks like the heir to the Niyirishi business empire. Her hair's curled lightly, and she has a small necklace on. She has platform combat boots, and she smiles at herself in the mirror.

"You look much more at peace Niyirishi-san!" The girls smile. "Perhaps this one will be the one!"

"I sure hope he is," Hiromitsu had sent her an unfamiliar address and her friend said it was around Ginza. The girl had made up a lie about how she forgot what they were hosting there though, Hitsuki didn't pester her for answers. It was supposed to be a surprise after all.

"I..."

"I heard it's pretty around there," One of the girls smile. "You'll enjoy the date,"

"...thanks Akemi-chan," Hitsuki smiles. She wasn't involved with the black organization, yet they had kept tabs on her. Hitsuki only knew that her parents died in the organization, and that her sister was working on a drug with Whiskey. She believed the codename was Sherry...

"Now off you go!" Another one of the girls push Hitsuki and Akemi out the door.

"So..."

"Let's go Hitsuki-chan!" Akemi drags Hitsuki into her car and she sighs. "I'm sure you'll like it there! I heard it's really pretty,"

"Ah?" Hitsuki stares out the window as Akemi chats with her.

"We're here! Good luck Hitsuki-chan!" Hitsuki offers a small smile and leaves the car.

Ginza is colored with colorful lights. There are more couples under the lights than normal people and Hitsuki spots Hiromitsu in the crowd.

"Hiromitsu-kun!"

"Hitsuki-chan," Hiromitsu smiles.

"Did you wait long?"

"No, I just got here," Hiromitsu smiles. "Shall we get going?"

"Sure," The two walk down the road and Hiromitsu smiles.

"So Hitsuki-chan, what's your major?"

"Mm, well I finished a PH.D. in medical school and I'm currently majoring in psychology," Hitsuki smiles. No male would want a female better than them, right?

"That's really cool!" Hiromitsu smiles. "You're so talented."

"Ah, n-no it's really nothing," Hitsuki stumbles over her words. "S-so, what's your major?"

"Well, I'm in the police academy right now with my friends, but I majored in criminology," Hiromitsu scratches the back of his neck lightly.

"Well, it's good preparation right?" Hitsuki smiles. She really wasn't allowed to date him, but considering her stance in the Black Organization, he might just be a good helping hand. "Is it hard? I wanted to join after university,"

"It isn't! As long as you're physically fit that is," Hiromitsu smiles.

"Ooh," Perhaps she could infiltrate the PSB after university. She would bring it up with Vermouth. "Do you think I could do it?"

"... I feel like you could," Hiromitsu smiles. "Join me next year?"

"I'll graduate the same year as you, just you watch," Hitsuki grins. The two carry on in a conversation for the rest of the evening.

The next date is the same

and the next

and the next.

Hitsuki feels like she could get used to it, but the clawing at her chest from the Black Organization was not helping. She wasn't allowed a relationship, not to mention a relationship with a future policeman.

The two are at Hiromitsu's flat today.

"Something bothering you, Hitsuki-chan?" The male hands her a cup of tea.

"Mmm, I'm just thinking about graduation," Hitsuki hums.

"It's coming up soon, right?"

"Mmm," Hitsuki stares at her cup. How long would it last? Would her boyfriend leave her after finding out about who she really was? Would they even last that long?

"What's wrong?" Hiromitsu crouches next to her. "Be honest with me Hitsuki-chan, I know you have a lot on your mind,"

"I..." Hiromitsu rubs her back soothingly as she thinks over her words. "I... I feel terrible,"

"Mm,"

"Do I even deserve to graduate? Am I really graduating already? I'm at an intersection, do I go left or right-" Hitsuki rambles lies, lie after lie, they feel natural falling off her tongue.

"Hitsuki-chan," Hiromitsu smiles. "You go forward. You've already made it so far, I'm proud of you,"

Hitsuki pauses. She feels bad for hiding her second life from him for a second, and she feels tears water in her eyes. When was the last time someone had said they were proud of her? Had she ever been told that someone was proud of her? Her tears trickle down her face and Hiromitsu pulls her in for a hug. She sobs lightly into his chest and he runs his hand through her hair gently.

"Let it out,"

Hitsuki's proud of herself for the tears. The first one was real, but the rest were forced. She wasn't sure how she felt toward the male, but she was sure that if she didn't keep him close now, she would learn to regret it. Even if she didn't end up falling in love with him, she was sure that leading him on would be the best choice. A boyfriend was still a boyfriend.

She calms down after a couple of minutes and Hiromitsu continues rubbing circles on her back. "Feeling better?"

"Sorry," Hitsuki mumbles. "I just haven't had someone tell me they were proud of me in so long,"

"... does your family not,"

"Mom's dead, dad's dead, my adoptive mom has been terrible with feelings ever since my adoptive dad disappeared," Hitsuki sniffs. Couldn't hurt talking about family problems... right?

"Ah," Hiromitsu pauses. "But it's still family right?"

"Yeah," Hitsuki smiles sadly. "How about yours?"

"Oh, my parents were killed..." Hiromitsu's quiet with his words and Hitsuki pauses.

"Oh, I'm so sorry-"

"No no, I figured the topic would come up sooner or later," Hiromitsu pauses. Hitsuki pauses and places a hand on his back. He spills out his parent's murder and Hitsuki's heart lurches in pain. He whispers against her chest and she strokes his hair soothingly. Whispers were whispers, but trauma was terrible for the both of them. Hitsuki swore that she would find the files on the murder and give the boy some peace.

-✿-

Fun facts:

Aaaah Trauma. Warning next 2 chapters are gonna have a bit of angst <3
There's a tag on Ao3 called Mary is bad at feelings I'm not lying-
Hitsuki is an excellent liar. Terrible but useful.
Hitsuki meets Limoncello during police school. Limoncello wasn't a student there, she was just caught hacking and got disowned so Hitsuki picked her up
Hiromitsu still has no idea why he felt so at peace with Hitsuki that day