1

"Allisun, you're gonna be late for the bus!" Ms. Fairchild called out to me. I quickly grabbed my bookbag, did a quick body scan, and ran out the door to the bus stop, getting there right when it arrived. I climbed on, found an empty seat, and sat down. I sat alone on the bus, which suited me just fine. I didn't want to sit by anyone.

Once we arrived at the school, I was greeted by my three main bullies- Jason, Austin, and Brody.

"Hey, Mute Girl!" Jason greeted me with a greasy grin. I widened my eyes and tried to run away, but Austin grabbed my book bag and threw me back, making me land on the concrete sidewalk. "Where do you think you're going? We're not done with you yet."

"Hey!" We heard a male voice yell. We looked up and saw the science teacher, Mr. McLoughlin, run up to us. "What do you boys think you're doing?"

"Nothing, Mr. McLoughlin!" The three yelled before quickly running away.

Mr. McLoughlin looked at me, sadness evident in his eyes. "Are you okay?" He asked, helping me stand back up. I nodded quickly, brushed myself off, then ran off to class.

-------

"Alright, everyone. Homework is on page 36 in your books." Mr. Fishbach announced. I rolled my eyes, flipping my algebra textbook to the right page. Algebra was my worst subject, and although Mr. Fishbach was nice and funny, I hated the class. I started working on the problems, groaning in my head.

The room was silent for a while until the door opened. The whole class turned their head and saw Mr. McLoughlin enter. He walked briskly by, smiling down at me as he passed, and stopped right in front of Mr. Fishbach. They muttered to each other for a moment before Mr. McLoughlin left and Mr. Fishbach approached me and tapped on my shoulder.

"Allisun?" He asked quietly. "May I speak to you outside?" I stared at him, nodded, and followed him out of the room and into the hallway, where Mr. McLoughlin waited, leaning against the wall.

He straightened up when we approached him. "Allisun, I just want to talk to you for a moment. Is that okay?" I nodded. "Those three boys that were with you this morning- do they do that often? Pick on you?" I stared between the two teachers, knowing that they actually wanted me to talk.

"Allisun, answer him." Mr. Fishbach stated.

"Mark, it's okay." Mr. McLoughlin said. "If she doesn't want to talk right away, we don't have to force her." He looked back at me. "You can trust us, Allisun. If you don't want us to tell anyone, we won't. I'm just very worried about you. You don't talk in any of your classes. You keep to yourself. I think all of this is getting to you, and I just want to help." I looked at the ground. "Please answer my question- does that happen often?" I nodded. "How often? Every day?" I nodded again. "Is that why you don't talk?" I shook my head.

"Then why?" Mr. Fishbach pushed. "Why are you so quiet?"

"You don't have to answer that, Allisun." Mr. McLoughlin.

"Yes she does. You want to help, right? This is the way. Just tell us why-"

"Mark." Mr. McLoughlin said sternly. He glared at him, pointing to the other side of the hallway. The two walked away, quietly arguing with each other, leaving me in the center of the hallway with silent tears rolling down my face. I wiped my cheeks with my jacket sleeve, staring at the wall in front of me. I heard footsteps coming from the opposite side of the hallway from Mr. Fishbach and McLoughlin, and I turned to see Jason, Austin, and Brody.

Jason had a sinister grin plastered on his face. "Little Orphan Allisun!" I widened my eyes, taking a step back. "What's wrong, Mute Girl? Scared because Mr. McLoughlin isn't here to protect you?" I stood frozen for a moment before sprinting down the hallway past Mr. Fishbach and McLoughlin.