35

"So." Jax nudged me with her elbow before taking another bite of her lunch. "What're your plans for the weekend?"

I shrugged. "Nothing, I don't think. Why?"

"Just wondering. Maybe we could hang out? Or I could stay over?"

"Sure!"

Jack finished scrolling on YouTube, playing a video. "The only thing we're doing this weekend is celebrating your birthday, Alli."

Jax grinned. "Wait, your birthday is this weekend?"

I groaned, letting my head fall onto my arms. "I don't want the whole world to know, Dad."

"Sorry." He smiled, popping a piece of fruit into his mouth.

Jax shook me. "We have to do something! Oh, I just have a million ideas running in my head right now-"

"It's nothing special." I muttered. "It's just a yearly milestone that reminds me I'm getting older."

"That's exactly why we have to celebrate! You can't stay the same age forever, so you have to celebrate when you turn a year older."

"I don't see the big deal in it."

"Well, whether you like it or not, you're celebrating with us." Jack nodded to Jax. "And I'd love to hear your ideas."

One of the ladies from the office appeared in the doorway. "Sorry to bother you, Jack, but can I borrow Allisun? Chrissy needs to speak with her."

Jack nodded. "Go ahead."

She turned to me, smiling. "It shouldn't be long."

I followed her down to Ms. Spunk's office, where she was straightening her bookshelf. I knocked on her doorframe and she turned, smiling. "Allisun! Come on in, and close the door behind you." I did as she said, sitting in a chair across from her desk. "I just wanted to chat and get an update from you. You seem like you've improved over the weekend, did something happen?" I nodded, and she smiled as she finished at the bookshelf and sat in her desk chair. "Tell me!" I grabbed a notepad that was on the table next to me and began writing.

Saw my uncle Bob
Met a new friend
Got adopted

She nodded. "I heard about the last one! Mr. Fishbach and Mr. McLoughlin, huh? How are you liking it with them?"

Really good

"Good, I'm glad. Now, your uncle Bob. Is he the one from before?"

No
From Carolina

"Good. And your new friend? Who is it?"

Jax
From school

Ms. Spunk made a face. "I don't think there's anyone from this school with the name 'Jax'. Is that a nickname?"

Don't know

"Ah, well, that's okay. Well, how about the bullying? Has that eased up, at least?"

Jason still has a grudge
That's it

"That, we can take care of easily. That's really all I wanted to talk about- that is, unless you have something else you want to say?" I shook my head, and she smiled. "Well then, you're free to go back." She held out her hands, and I gave her the notepad as I stood up, leaving the room.

Jax and Jack were laughing at the video as I walked back in. Jax saw me and grinned, gesturing for me to come closer. "Hey! How was the talk?"

I shrugged. "Fine. She just wanted to touch base with me."

I sat down next to her, trying to focus on the video playing, but instead realizing what Ms. Spunk had said. There's no one from this school named Jax. I stared at Jax as she laughed again, wondering (not for the first time) who this wonderful and amazing girl was that was sitting next to me.