27

It was dark outside when I woke up. My eyes were irritated, and my cheeks and throat were dry. I rubbed my eyes as I sat up, trying and failing to swallow. I sighed, tossing my bed sheets off of me and marching to the bedroom door.

As soon as I stepped into the hallway, I heard Mark and Jack's quiet voices. "We have to do something, Sean." Mark said. "We can't just sit on the sidelines. He was Alli's only friend, besides us."

"And they like each other." Jack pointed out.

"That's not the point. I don't want her being alone throughout high school- she's going to be a freshman next year. If she pushes Austin away, she won't have anyone. We won't be there to save her from her bullies. I don't care if she stays mute in school, and is vocal outside of it. If it makes her happy and feel safe, she should go for it. But I don't want her feeling alone."

"I hear you. And I agree. But if she really doesn't want to be friends with Austin, she doesn't have to."

"She does. I know she does. We just have to get them to talk again."

I made my way to the bottom of the stairs, seeing Mark and Jack stand at the kitchen island. Jack had a small glass of whiskey- something he stated he did when a day was particularly stressful. Mark was drinking a tall glass of ice water.

Mark was the first to notice me. He gave me a tired smile. "Hey, Alli. Doing okay?"

Jack turned to me, gesturing me closer. "We were just talking. Come join!"

I obeyed, shaking my head. "I don't want to talk to him again."

Mark sat me in the chair next to him. "We hear you. But... can I just ask why? It just seems like there's more to it than what happened today."

I laid my head on the counter. "...why didn't he tell me?"

"That he was related to your uncle?" Jack guessed. I nodded. "He said he didn't realize until yesterday."

"Why didn't he tell me?" I practically whispered.

"He was afraid this would happen." Mark explained. "He didn't want to lose you as a friend- currently, you're his only friend, besides us, Wade, and Bob. All of his other ones left when they found out you two were friends. He knew you would freak, and possibly do this."

"And why did he let this happen?"

Jack set his glass down, reaching forward and taking my hands, squeezing them. "Alli, none of us would've guessed this would happen. He messaged us last night that your uncle was out of jail, and then again earlier today to say he was picking Austin up from school. All we could do was pray that nothing would happen."

"But something did happen." My eyes filled with tears. "It did, and no one prevented it."

Mark put an arm around my shoulders. "Alli, if we could've, we would've. Even Austin. I promise you that."

"How can I believe you?"

"You know us. Would we really just let something happen to you if we could've stopped it, especially after know what all happened to you before? Would Bob?" I was silent, my eyes falling to the counter. "Exactly. No. We all love you, Alli. Even Austin-"

"I don't like the teasing you all gave us." I spoke quickly, changing the topic. "It made me uncomfortable"

"Why didn't you tell us before? We would've stopped." Jack told me.

"Austin said he liked it."

"You never have to sit through something just because of someone else. If you don't like something, speak up and we'll stop it. Okay?" I nodded. "Is there a reason why it made you uncomfortable?"

I shifted in my seat. "I... uhm..." I looked up at them. "How did you know that you weren't... straight?"

Mark smiled. "Do you think you're gay?"

"I don't know." I sighed. "Maybe? I think I like both."

"So you might be bi. That's okay!"

"But I know I don't like Austin."

"Is there anyone you do like?"

"Uhm... there was a girl. She moved away, but I... thought she was cool, at least." I sighed. "It's hard to talk about."

"Does it help, though?" Jack asked. I nodded, and he smiled. "It always does."

"There's no one, now. But I know I don't like Austin. He is- was- just a friend."

Mark's smile fell. "I think you two should be friends again."

Jack turned to him. "Mark-"

"No, you're right." I fidgeted with my hands. "I don't know how, though. I don't know if I can ever forgive him, or get over this. I mean, his dad's..." I shuddered. "I don't think I can."

"We'll help you." Jack took a hand again. "We just don't want you to lose each other, okay?"

"Okay." The doorbell rang, and Jack let go of me. "Who's here? It's really late."

Mark rubbed the back of his neck. "Well... someone always said he'll be here if you're ever struggling."

"Open up, bitches!" I heard Bob yell at the front door.

Jack laughed as he stepped away. "I'll get that."

"He'll be staying with us for a few days." Mark explained. "Just to make sure you're okay."

"And to see you, of course!" I giggled as I felt a pair of arms around me and pick me up. "Hi Alli, I'm back!"

"I see that!" Bob let me go, and I turned to him. "You didn't have to come back."

"Oh, sure I did." He messed with my hair. "Wanna show me to my room, kid?" I grinned, jumping out of my seat and running up the stairs.

"We're gonna have our hands full." Jack laughed loudly at Mark's comment.