47

The next few chapters like this are in Mark's POV

The auditorium in the high school was packed already. We were lucky we got our seats reserved (thanks to Alli for that) and joined Jax and Austin near the stage.

"I hope this is going to go well." Jax muttered as we took our seats.

"Tell me about it." Wade answered. Then, realizing the two haven't met yet, "Oh, hey Jax, I'm Wade."

"I know that." She said with a smirk.

"Oh, God, you two are so much alike. No wonder."

"Are you really not going to tell us what she's wearing?" Jack begged, changing the subject.

"Nope." Jax grinned. "All I'm going to say is they were all given a color."

"Guys, shut up!" Austin called out to us. "It's starting!"

As he spoke, the lights dimmed. The room quieted down as the projector screen rolled down, and a spotlight shined on center stage. Ms. Davis stepped out, and everyone cheered as she smiled.

"Good afternoon, everyone!" She called out into the mic she held. "I hope you all are ready for an exciting audition today!" Everyone cheered again, and she laughed. "As some of you already know, we only have one opening this year. That means we have only a handful of students auditioning today. Before we get on with it, I have to discuss the rules of the audition process. The order the students go in will be random every time, up to the last round, where the student who has had the most votes the whole night will sing first. There will also be a student or two singing during the judging process who will sing and possibly dance- these songs will not be counted toward the judging process.

"All of these students were directed to pick songs of their choosing or to create their own. Now, we do have a student in our line-up that is under a special circumstance, so I will be announcing each song before it is sung. You were all given a phone number as you walked in. After every student has sung each round, please text that number with your vote, and they will all be counted during the judging process.

"Now, is everyone ready?" The room cheered, and she laughed again. I saw five bodies walk at the back of the stage as she moved to the side to watch. "Great! Now, on with the show! For the first round, I told each student to sing something that explains who they are. The first student up is Leah, singing Lady Gaga's Born This Way!"

The first five students passed in a blur, mainly because none of them were Alli. They were all good, but they weren't who I was there to see. When Kim backed up, I zoned back in, listening intently to Ms. Davis as she announced the song.

"This last contestant surprised me, to say the least. She doesn't say much, and I was afraid if she'd be truly willing to do this, but countless times this past week, she has proved me wrong. Singing her own original song titled Here I Am, our very own Allisun!"

I smiled as Allisun stepped into the light, walking to the edge of the stage. She smiled, but I could see she was incredibly nervous. Ms. Davis handed her a microphone, and she took a deep breath as music began playing from the speakers.

They tell you a good girl is quiet
That you should never ask why
'Cause it only makes it harder to fit in
You should be happy, excited
Even if you're just invited
'Cause the winners need someone to clap for them

It's so hard just waiting
In a line that never moves
It's time you started making
Your own rules

You gotta scream until there's nothing left
With your last breath
So here I am
Here I am
Make 'em listen
'Cause there's no way you'll be ignored
Not anymore
So here I am
Here I am
Here I am

I looked over at Jack, who stared back at me with wide eyes. "She can actually sing." He whispered to me."

"Her mom would sing to her when she was little." Bob explained, overhearing. "I guess she caught on to it, but I've never heard it before now." We all turned our attention back to the stage, as she began singing again.

You only get one life to work it
So who cares if it's not perfect
I say it's close enough to perfect for me
Why should you hide from the thunder
And the lightning that you're under
'Cause there ain't nobody else you want to be

If how you're living isn't working
There's one thing that will help
You gotta finally just stop searching
To find yourself

You gotta scream until there's nothing left
With your last breath
So here I am
Here I am
Make 'em listen
'Cause there's no way you'll be ignored
Not anymore
So here I am
Here I am
Here I am

The world better make some room
Yeah, move over, on over
'Cause you're coming through

You gotta scream until there's nothing left
With your last breath
So here I am
Here I am
Make 'em listen
'Cause there's no way you'll be ignored
Not anymore
So here I am
Here I am
Here I am
Here I am
Here I am

There was silence in the auditorium for a long moment. Alli looked scared, until I began clapping. Jack, Bob, Wade, Austin, and Jax joined in. Soon enough, the whole room was applauding, standing out of their seats and cheering. I could see her eyes fill with tears as Ms. Davis stepped back out, ushering her off and grinning ear-to-ear.

As the applause died down, Ms. Davis spoke up. "Wow, you all seemed to really like her! Well, that's all for this round, so be sure to text that number your votes, and we'll count them up in just a few minutes!" She ran back off as the house lights turned on.

Austin turned to us immediately. "Did you notice?"

"Notice what?" Wade asked.

"Everyone besides Leah sang a song we haven't heard of. Of those other four, three of them came from the same artist- AV. Alli's song was her own. Don't you get it?"

Bob grinned. "She wrote them. By God, she wrote practically all of the songs."

Austin nodded. "And it's going to be like that for the rest of the audition. Buckle up, and pay attention."