31

The dismissal bell rang. Jax and I locked eyes from across the room before jumping up and quickly grabbing our things. I was the first one out of the room, running to Jack's open classroom door. I waited for everyone to filter out before going in.

Jack was at his desk, sorting papers and fixing his bag. He looked up and smiled. "Hey! I'm guessing school was okay today?" I grinned, nodding, and he smiled back. "Good! And I'm glad you made a new friend. Just let us know ahead of time if you get uncomfortable with the teasing."

Jax came into the room, holding her shoulder. "Jeez, the hallways are packed. But I thought I'd find you here." She punched my shoulder jokingly.

Jack smirked, and I already knew what he was going to ask. "Are you busy tonight, Jax? We'd love to have you over for dinner. You can meet Alli's other dad."

Jax grinned. "Really? I'd love to! I'm sure my stepmom wouldn't mind, and my dad's working tonight anyway."

"Great, I'll text Mark." He grabbed his phone before looking at me. "And if you don't want to say anything tonight because of Jax, it's okay. We won't pressure you."

I looked nervously at Jax, who shook her head. "Don't worry about me, I won't make fun of you."

I sighed, looking at the ground. "...I will." I said quietly.

"OHMYGOSH!" Jax almost squealed. I winced as she ran up to me. "Your voice! It's..." She trailed off, looking for the words.

"Stupid? Childish?" I finished for her.

"Cute!" She yelled. Jack and I both stared at her, although Jack was smiling. "Oh, it's so light and floaty- like a bell! I wouldn't be surprised if you knew how to sing. Oh gosh, now I want to hear you sing-"

"Okay, okay, Jax." Jack was smiling. He picked up his bag and keys. "Let's go, girls." We followed Jack to the parking lot and into the car, where we immediately took off for home. Jack talked to Jax the entire time, while I stared out the window at the passing scenery.

We pulled up to the house in no time. Jax dragged me from the car and to the front door, and I laughed as I opened it and stepped through. Mark and Bob were in the kitchen, making dinner for us. Mark looked up as we walked in and grinned, wiping his hands on a hand towel before walking to us. "Hey! How was school?"

Bob didn't give us time to answer- he pushed himself in front of Mark, staring down at Jax. "So. You're Jax."

Jax grinned. "In the flesh." She bowed.

"If you break Alli's heart, I'm breaking your kneecaps."

"Do it, I dare you." Jax bit back. "If you do, I'm breaking your dick."

Bob's playful glare turned into a grin. He turned to me. "I like her. She's a keeper."

Jack laughed as he stepped into the house, closing the front door. "You only say that because she has more sass than you."

"I wouldn't say more, just equal."

Jax laughed. "Three of the group members, up close and personal. I can see why you all are friends."

Mark was at Jack's side, taking his bag from his shoulder. "How was it today?"

Jack shrugged. "Boring. I'm sure these two had a much more interesting day." They shared a quick kiss before Mark put the bag next to the end table nearby.

"Can you not?" I groaned.

Mark ruffled my hair. "We have to embarrass you somehow, Alli. Isn't that what parents do?"

Jax was still smiling. "So you're Mark?"

Mark nodded. "In the flesh."

"Cool. So who're you?" She gestured to Bob.

"I'm Bob." He answered. "You can just call me Alli's uncle. At least, that's what she likes to call me."

"That's because you are my uncle." I said.

"Not by blood. So, technically I'm not."

"Technically you are."

"I hate you."

"I hate you more."

Jack was laughing. "While you two are busy fighting with each other, I'm going to have some dinner. Care to join, Jax?"

"I'd love to." She rolled her eyes, giggling. She, Jack, and Mark took off to the kitchen, serving themselves.

Bob held me back. "Are you sure, Alli?" He asked, gesturing to the dreamy look on my face.

I shrugged. "I don't know. She's cool, and funny. We could be friends, at least."

"She seems like... a lot."

"I know what to do if things go south. I'm not a child anymore."

"Ah, that's right. Fourteen is such an adult age."

I giggled. "Shut up."

"Hey!" Jax called out to us. "Are you eating or what?"