33

"So." Jax swallowed her bite of food. "Tell me something interesting about yourselves."

"Like what?" Bob asked back.

"Something so I can know who you are as a person."

"You go first, then."

"Fine. Jax isn't my actual name, but I'm not telling you what it is."

"Fair enough. I'm a lawyer."

"Ah yes, the asshole as the lawyer. Great career choice." She looked to Mark. "You?"

"I could've become an engineer." He pushed his empty plate away. "I decided it was boring and went for education."

Jack swallowed his bite. "I was in a band in high school and college."

My eyes brightened. "Really?"

He nodded. "Yep. I still have all the songs I wrote. It's how I learned to play the drums."

"And how I learned to play guitar." Mark spoke up.

"You we're in the band together?" Jax asked.

Mark nodded. "It's how we met, actually. He put out an ad for members. I already knew a little about playing, but once I got accepted into the band, I put more effort into learning."

"Do you both still play?"

Jack nodded. "We've got a drum set and two guitars in the basement, along with some other small stuff."

"That's so cool!" Jax grinned. "Think you could teach me some stuff? I've been wanting to learn how to play the drums."

"Sure, as long as your parents let you."

Jax nudged me. "Maybe we can convince Austin to form a trio."

I dodged her. "I'm not really interested."

"Oh, come on. I bet it would be great! I bet you would be an amazing lead singer."

"I'm not-"

"Wait, do you sing, Alli?" Mark asked.

"I don't really-"

"Since she was seven." Bob interrupted, pushing his empty plate away.

"Thanks, Bob." I muttered.

He put a hand on my shoulder. "Anytime."

Jax's eyes sparkled. "Really? Can I hear one day?"

I blushed. "Maybe."

"I'll take it." She grabbed both of our empty plates, standing up. "So. What next?"