55

We all put our phones away as music began playing and Ms. Davis walked back out onstage. She greeted the crowd nervously. "I'm so sorry about the wait, everyone! We just had to talk over a few things, as well as give our victor enough time to change into her outfit. We all agreed collectively that Allisun was speaking the truth, but she still broke a rule of the audition, that being to not talk about the others in a bad light. My class voted on who should take the position, and I can say with utmost confidence that this young lady will flourish in my class. In fact, she will be granted the highest honor, due to her struggles on getting here. Ladies and gentlemen and everyone in between, our victor from today's competition, singing a song that was written in response to one question- why did you choose to compete for the spot?"

Ms. Davis stepped off as photos began playing on the screens on the walls. Music filtered out from the speakers, and a spotlight flew around, as if trying to find someone.

Don't wanna live as an untold story
Rather go out in a blaze of glory
I can't hear you, I don't fear you

From the corner of my eye, I saw someone run past. I tried seeing who it was, but it was too dark to see their face.

I'll live now 'cause the bad die last
Dodging bullets with your broken past
I can't hear you, I don't fear you now

Someone appeared on the stage as the photos went away, instead saying "Congratulations" on them. The audience began applauding, without even knowing who the winner was.

Wrapped in your regret
What a waste of blood and sweat
Oh oh oh

The lights on the stage brightened, and our whole group quickly jumped out of our seats as one name appeared on the screens. Sean fell into my chest, sobbing, as Alli danced around the stage, wearing the biggest grin on her face.

I wanna taste love and pain
Wanna feel pride and shame
I don't wanna take my time
Don't wanna waste one line
I wanna live better days
Never look back and say
Could have been me
It could have been me
Yeah!

People began throwing flowers- even bouquets- on stage. She grabbed one and put it in her hair before making her way back to the crowd, passing out high fives, fist bumps, and even blowing kisses.

"Guys, she's coming right for us!" Austin announced to us. We tried to control ourselves, watching as she inches closer.

Don't wanna live as an unsung melody
I'd rather listen to the silence telling me
I can't hear you, I don't fear you
Don't wanna wake up on a Monday morning
The thought of work is getting my skin crawling
I can't hear you, I don't fear you now

Wrapped in your regret
What a waste of blood and sweat
Oh oh oh

I wanna taste love and pain
Wanna feel pride and shame
I don't wanna take my time
Don't wanna waste one line
I wanna live better days
Never look back and say
Could have been me
It could have been me
Yeah!

The music played out as she finally approached us. She looked at me and laughed. "You're crying." She said, ringing out in the speakers. "Don't cry, Dad."

I sniffed, rubbing my eyes. "I... I'm just so proud of you." I hugged her tightly. "You've come so far..."

"We're all proud of you. Jax commented. "Now keep singing!"

We all heard laughter as Alli's smile widened. She turned to the stage as the entire choir class marched out. Some even came down and picked her up as they all began singing.

I wanna taste love and pain
Wanna feel pride and shame
Don't wanna take my time
Don't wanna waste one line
Wanna live better days
Never look back and say
Could have been me

They took Alli back to the stage and put her down, where she danced with the whole class.

It could have been me

I wanna taste love and pain
Wanna feel pride and shame
I don't wanna take my time
Don't wanna waste one line
I wanna live better days
Never look back and say
Could have been me
It could have been me
Yeah!

The lights slowly filtered off as everyone cheered for Allisun. We couldn't be prouder of her.