Selfish

A/N:
Ranpo might be a little out of character but it's fine

YOUR POV:

Ranpo and I ransacked the convent store collecting monsters,candy and other things to make our battery acid drinks. "What sounds better?" Ranpo asks me"sour patch kids or baby bottle pops?" I look to him"both." He nods"you're right." Ranpo takes the two and we carry them over to the check out. "Welcome back Y/N and Ranpo." Mai greets us as we set down the drinks and candy. "Hi!" Ranpo greets"Ranpo,why don't you no longer come here? I'm tired of seeing Y/N." Mai jokes"hey! That's mean!" Ranpo places his hands on his hips"well when your the worlds greatest detective,you're always busy." Mai smiles with a giggle"so where are you two headed?" She asks"oh,Ranpo wants to make battery acid." I explain"ah,that makes sense." She says gesturing to the odd choice of candy.

"One of my school friends made it last year,she said it was good." She says bagging up the items"cool." I say as she slides the bag over"how much does it cost?" I asked her"oh,nothing. I'll pay." She says"I-no! I can't let you-"Mai speaks up"just go have fun! Geez,go before I get caught." I sigh and take the brown bag as Ranpo follows. "Fine." Ranpo smiles"thanks Mai!" She nods"have fun on your date!" She calls after us making my cheeks burn.

The sun shown brightly in the sky. "Hey Ranpo,didn't you have a job today?" He nods"yea but I gave it to Atsushi." He explains"h-huh? W-Wait why?!" "Well I wanted to eat my freshly made sweets but on top of that we decided to do this today." He tells me"are you sure they'll be ok with you not there?" He nods"I'm sure they'll be fine. I mean,it'll probably take them all day but that's on them." I nod"are we headed back to the agency or...?"I trail off"your house clearly!" My eyes widen"b-but the Agency-" "will be fine." He cuts me off"you're starting to sound like Kunikida." He goes on. "And that's boring."

"Don't bully Kunikida like that." I say"are you taking up for him?" I nod"yea,got a problem with that?" He shakes his head"not really. But you never really defend any of us,so it's weird." I roll my eyes as we continue on our walk in silence.

When we made it to my apartment I unlocked the door and entered,we both kicked off our shoes and entered the house. "I miss being here!" Ranpo exclaims running into it. "Ranpo! Remember I have neighbors!" I tell him"these walls and the whole place is practically paper thin." Ranpo sets the bag on the floor and sits in front of it. "Whose fault is that for choosing to live here?" He smirks"the Agency's." I tell him joining him on the floor. "It is?" I nod"yea,when I joined I didn't have anywhere to live,remember?" He sits there in silence,clearly thinking it over. "Oh yea!" He finally admits"you were so tiny back then." I hit him on the arm"don't bully me! I've grown a lot since then,height wise and mind wise."

"Don't forget body!" I felt my cheeks burn as I placed my arms over my chest"shut the h*ll up!" I bark as he laughs at my embarrassment. "Anyway,let's get started making this battery acid." Ranpo says changing the subject"agreed." I say taking my phone out of pocket and entering my pin code. "What are you doing?" He asks"I was going to put on some music." I tell him as I select 'shuffle' and the music fades in. I set the phone on the floor. "Oh right,we need glasses." I stand up and walk over to my cupboard and pull out two glasses.

I set them in front of us as Ranpo pulls out his 'Ultra Violet' Monster and takes a sip before pouring the rest into the glass. I pour my Monster into the glass and set the bottle aside. Ranpo then opens a pack of Sour Patch Kids and takes one and eats it before placing a few into his drink. We created our battery acid for around 10 minutes until we finished.

"Done!" Ranpo says as he picks ups his glass"look!" I look to see that the once purple hue was now a pinkish purple. "Pretty." I say as he nods. "Yours is nice to." He says as I look at mine. "It's ok I guess."

"Well,time to try it!" Ranpo declares as I pick mine up. We clink the glasses together before taking a sip. I began to cough at the sourness of the drink,I set the glass in front of me as I continue to cough. Ranpo silently drank his. "What? You don't like it?" He questions"it's sour...I think I put to much sour in mine." Ranpo the offers me his"drink." I shake my head"I can't." I deny"how come?"

"Because your mouth has already touched it." His eyes open to reveal his lively green eyes. "That's such a stupid reason! Just drink it!" He complains"fine." I take the drink and sip on it. (Oh wow I went from Mitski to the BSD opening-😀)

I pulled away and begin to cough a little. "It's a lot sweeter." I say"yet still sour." He takes my drink and sips it"I like yours to." I shrug"it's ok. I wouldn't drink it and I'm not. Mai's friend lied." I admit"I just think it depends on how you make it."

My phone then vibrated as I picked it up to see it was from Mai:

Mai:
Make sure you confess on your date!

I felt my cheeks burn as I quickly shut off my phone,slamming it into the floor. As I did that,a knock was heard on the door. Ranpo looked over and stood up walking over to it. "L/N,would you please-oh! Hello. Do you know where L/N is?" I stand up and walk over to the door to see one of my neighbors. Their eyes widen"oh I didn't realize your significant other was over L/N." I felt my cheeks become hotter"n-no! H-He's not m-my significant o-other. He's j-just a coworker." I explain"oh I see. Well,do you mind keeping it down a little?" I bow"my apologies." They then walk off as I shut the door behind them.

"Y/N." I jump at Ranpo's tone. It was serious and cold,different from what I'm used to. "Be honest with me." I looked to him"do you have a crush on me?" My eyes widen as my cheeks begin to heat up once more. "Ah! W-What g-gave y-you that idea?!" I yell as his eyes open once more. "I'm not stupid. I can tell,I mean out of everyone at the Agency you freak out and get flustered when someone teases you about me. And then there's when everyone calls me your significant other. Plus what Mai said. And there's a whole lotta evidence pointing to this theory."

I looked down to my feet,suddenly finding them more interesting. "Tell me. Do you have a crush on me?" He repeats as I nod shyly. "I-I see." He says"how long did you k-know?" I softly question"years ago." He tells me"maybe a few months after you started working for the agency." He explains. "A-And you used your ability?"

"Of course not. Even an idiot would be able to tell." I didn't respond,unsure of what to say. I felt warmth on my chin,I realized that Ranpo was forcing me to look at him. "You know,I never got that kiss I was promised." I stared at him,I felt hopeless. I felt like a child under his presence.

He leans in and places a kiss on my lips. His rough lips were placed on my soft ones. It felt like heaven,I had been waiting for this to happen though not in this situation. We pulled away and stared at each other in silence. Ranpo finally walks back to where he sat not long ago. "Well,that happened. Now what?" He asks"h-huh?" He nods"I kissed you and made you embarrassed. We also made our battery acid. I'm bored now."

"But you-I just-we-h-HOW ARE YOU SO CALM ABOUT THIS?!" I yell at him"because it's not that big of a deal?" He crosses his arms"you girls make everything such a big deal. Oh,also does this mean we're dating?" He questions"wait-woah,woah this is-this is all going to fast. What the heck just happened?" Ranpo then starts to recap what happened"that's not what I meant. I mean you make me all flustered and act like it never happened?" He sits criss cross apple sauce and leans on his head on his palm. "What are you not understanding idiot? It was a kiss,not a big deal. So,are we dating or not?"

"Do you...do you even like me?" I ask pointing to him"yea? Isn't that obvious?" I blinked at him a few times as I fell to my knees. "Are you good?" He asks me. His voice seemed distant,like he was far away. "Woah! Why are you crying?!" He exclaims as I look to see Ranpo looking at me,a look of worry and concern written on his features. "I-I just...I didn't know I feel stupid." I say as I wipe my eyes"I thought you wouldn't feel the same. I feel...selfish."

Suddenly his arms wrap around me,I let out a soft gasp. "You're not selfish for liking me." I stayed quiet"nobody is selfish for liking someone. It's ok...you're safe." I wrapped my arms around him and cried into his chest.

"I love you Y/N." My eyes widened as I cried even harder than before,if that was even possible.

"I-I love you to..."