Chapter 28

Song: Moon Song by Phoebe Bridgers
***

Genevieve

I didn't know what to say.
There was nothing I could say at this moment.

I look at Harry who is now tied to a chair next to me, trying to somehow get him to look at me.

His head was hanging down ever since mason had left.

It feels like he is not even in this room with me anymore.

"Harry," I say quietly but so that he would hear me.
He doesn't answer, just sitting there staring down, lost in his own head.

I lay my hand next to his, wanting to grab it, but the ties around my wrists stop me.
Instead, I move my pinky over, locking it with his to assure him I'm here.

His eyes shoot over to me, allowing me to see the silent tears in them.

He seems like he just drifted off into his own world.

I figure Adrian was someone he lost during a fire, I figured it was something horrible, but his own father did this to him, killed the person he loved most, how could one do that?

He starts speaking but I interrupt him.
"It's okay," I say just as quietly as when I called his name.

I couldn't imagine how he felt. No matter what was between us, I wouldn't wish something like this to anyone.

"I'm sorry" he murmurs, nearly inaudible.
Why was he sorry? I still didn't understand everything behind this, and I'm sure that there was more to the story,

I didn't know why but at this moment I feel more useless than I ever did in my life. I couldn't imagine a person, your own father, doing something like that.

I also know I did not find this out because he wanted to tell me.
I found out because he'd rather relieve this pain again instead of me experiencing pain.

All this time I spend trying to hate him, tell myself that he's a horrible person because he is so much like me. All of this seems gone in this second.

At this moment I feel more connected to him than ever before.

I need to get both of us out of here, but I had absolutely no idea how to do that. My mind was blank and there was no way I could focus right now.

I knew that that guy would come back in here any second, and I still had no idea what he actually wanted from us.

The door opens to Mason walking back into the room.
He comes up to Harry first, starting to untie him.

"I'm letting you go," he says, his eyes going to me for just a second.

"Why?" Harry asks.

"Do you not understand? He doesn't want to kill you, he wants you to realize that with him, is the only place you belong " Mason explains.