-9-

- - -

- - -

"She's gay?!"

Karmen had her head laying in Alice's lap while  Lily was braiding the girls hair, Marlene was pacing in front of them.

This was a normal occurrence. After classes and just before dinner, the Reines would go out to the Black Lake to sit and chat about everything that happened over Winter Break.

With the exception of Karmen, who didn't like talking about hers besides the fact that she hated her mother as much as her mother hated her.

"That's what Mary told me." Lily said simply while she continued with Alice's short hair, deciding it would be easier to pull them into space buns instead.

"Oh my Merlin. This is a complete game changer, like, this changes everything! This means I have an actual chance instead of pinning after a straight girl." Marlene rumbled as she paced back a forward in front of them.

"Aww, my little gay butterfly finally broke out of her cocoon." Karmen said with a fake pout as she put her hand over her chest, causing the other girls to chuckle at her motherly teasing.

"That reminds me." The blonde trailed off as she kneeled down next to her bag and started to look for something.

"Gay butterflies remind you of something in your book bag?"

Marlene ignored the curly haired girl as she pulled out a gift bag and said, "I know you don't like getting presents but I couldn't resist. Happy Birthday!"

Since Karmen's birthday fell in the middle of Winter Break and she never had a birthday party since her 5th birthday, they normally celebrated her birthday when they got back to Hogwarts.

She didn't normally get gifts for her birthday but she didn't have the heart to refuse them from the Reines.

Karmen sat up from Alice's lap and took the bag from Marlene. She smiled at her before opening the bag and pulling out the gift. It was a small gold trophy with a small plaque on its wooden stand.

She read it and suppressed her smile, before saying, "This is the best birthday present you've ever gotten me. I'm so touched you think I'm the 'Worlds Greatest Grandma.'"

The other two girls started to cackle like hyenas as Marlene protested, "It was the only one they had!"

"Makes me want to knit you a sweater." Karmen caressed her cheek before pinching it like a grandmother and letting it go, patting her cheek. The other girls laughed harder and the curly haired girl had no choice but to join them.

Once they all calmed down from their laughing fit, Lily asked with a sly grin, "So, Karmen, how's everything going with James?"

"Potter? Everything's fine, why are you-" She cut her self off when she saw the looks the others were giving her.

"No, no, no! Nothing like that! Stop with the faces! We worked on the potions project, he didn't flirt but that doesn't mean that he's nice. He's still an arrogant toerag." Karmen protested before crossing her arms like a child.

"What if he changed, Beastie?" Alice asked as Lily finished with her hair.

"Nobody can change that quickly, especially not Potter. He's been asking me out for almost five years, why would he suddenly changed?"

"Maybe another girl?" Marlene suggested.

"Poor her." Karmen said, ignored the slight hurt in her chest, maybe she was also coming down with something. Maybe the flu?

 Maybe the flu?