-21-

- - -

- - -

"It's not a date." Karmen reminded her friends as she ignored their sly looks and continued dressing herself.

"Oh come on, Beastie! This is clearly a date. You asked James Fleamont Potter on a date!" Marlene said giddily as she rolled over onto her back on her bed where she had been laying on her stomach. The three other Reines were all in around the room, Alice and Lily sitting on the latters bed while the blonde was sat on her own.

"I didn't not! I clearly told him that it was just two friends going to Hogsmead together." After reading her fathers letter about her mother, the burly haired woman realized that she needed to start doing things that she had been putting off, including spending one-on-one time with Potter.

Ever since they worked together on that potions assignment last year, James had stopped with the over the top flirting and extravagant gestures, Karmen had assumed that he had finally figured out that she wasn't falling for his prank and just stopped. Part of her thought that Sirius had forced him into stopping cause they were friends but that felt unlikely.

"You are literally being indecisive about what outfit you want him to see you in like a little school girl with a crush." Lily said, smirking slightly into her book.

Sure, she had been been picking her outfit for the past fifteen minutes but that was because she hadn't washed her clothes in a week and she had very limited options.

"You're being ridiculous! Alice, tell them."

Pulling her head through a button up after finally deciding, Karmen could hear the smaller girl say, "No, they're right though, Beastie."

She lifted her head up from where she had been looking to button her shirt up with a shocked look that she was siding with those cretins before glaring and whisper yelled, "Traitor."

None of them had talked about what Karmen's dad had written to her as she didn't show or say anything about it. But in the depths of her brain, it was all she could think about. The impending ticking on a clock that was counting down the unknown amount of time she had left as Karmen. She didn't like talking about it, before thinking that if she pretended that it wasn't happening to her, it wouldn't happen.

But now it was all she could think about.

"Okay, I'm leaving now. Have fun making fun of me while I'm gone. Bye." She said the second she tied her combat boots and slipped on the rest of her outfit before closing the door behind her, hearing Marlene yell with the second sentence,

"We will!"

***

James paced back and forth across the quad, the littlest bit of snow starting to melt. Next week they would be going to Winter Break so now seemed to be the perfect time to go to Hogsmead.