-17-

- - -

- - -

Sirius hadn't spoken to her in weeks.

Ever since she came out with the fact that she was dating Evan Rosier, he had been avoiding her and doing it well.

Remus had pulled away as well to try and calm him down, trying to get him to accept the fact that she was dating a Slytherin and there wasn't anything he could do to change that.

Thankfully, after talking with him, James seemed to be a bit more normal around Karmen. He joked and laughed, even though that and his smile seemed to be forced, she didn't say anything about it if she noticed. He distracted himself with Qudditch practice when he had the chance but other than that, he seemed almost be okay again.

To him, all that mattered was that she was happy, even if it wasn't with him.

Marlene seemed excited that she was finally going out in the dating world, even if it was with that tosser Evan Rosier. (Hey, that end bit rhymed) Besides, Karmen had the pick of the litter with her looks and the fact she liked multiple genders.

Lily and Alice seemed to be in the same boat, a little more worried about Sirius' temper tantrum and James' behavior. They tried to show their happiness for the new couple while they pushed back all the things they had heard about him over the years.

There was a party going on, you know how Gryffindor's are, and Karmen's boyfriend was the only Slytherin there. Sirius had been silently, one vocally, trying to throw him out but Remus stopped him, saying that people from the other houses were there as well.

Karmen noticed James sitting in the corner of the room with a drink in hand, which was quite an odd sight, the first part not the last, as he was quite the social butterfly. She walked over and stood in front of him, saying over the Queen music playing, "Hey, what's up?"

He only shrugged looking at her, looking at the black button up dress she was wearing. Karmen didn't normally wear dresses, or skirts for that matter, but Evan managed to convince her that 'it was a party' and to 'do it for him.'

She really did look gorgeous though.

"Why aren't you with the others?" She asked, nudging his drink with hers

"Just don't feel like it." James gave her a small smile, hoping it would convince her to go join the party but the silent voice in his head yelling at him to make her stay. But she has a boyfriend, so she had to go back to him.

Karmen leaned down and grabbed his hand, pulling him up out of his seat despite his complaints. She used their conjoined hands to spin him in a slow twirl before letting out a small laugh. He let out a little small at how happy she was, giddy almost but maybe that was just the drinks in her.

Right after she did, the two of them heard her boyfriend call her from across the common room of dancing people. She looked behind her before looking back and smiling at James, letting her hand fall out of his before walking away.

James sat back down in his seat before looking up to watch Karmen start to dance with her boyfriend. He looked back down at her drink before knocking the liquid back quickly.

As long as she was happy.

***

Evan had his hands against her waist while hers were on his shoulders, swaying to the upbeat music, not caring if it was a slow song or not at this point. His jaw was clenched and he wasn't looking at her until she poked at his jaw and asked, "Hey, what's wrong?"

"I don't want you being friends with him anymore."

She pulled back and her eyebrows pulled together, "What?"

"I don't want you being friends with that Potter. He's too close with you, he still likes you." The blonde looked at her, their heights matching up so she was only a little shorter than him.

"No, we're just friends. He's starting to warm up on me. Besides my best friend is friends with him so it's harder to avoid him." She said with a smile, still thinking he was joking. He couldn't tell her who she can or can't be friends with just because he was her boyfriend.

"I'm putting my foot down with this, Kar." She pulled away completely as she glared at him.

"Who the fuck do you think you are? My father? You know what, fuck you! You do not have the right to tell me who I can or can't be friends with. Male or female!" She yelled, but nobody in the room could hear them because of the music, except for the people around them.

Karmen turned around and started walking out, Evan following her but the entrance was blocked by pissed off looking Remus, his arms crossed in front of his chest, keeping the Slytherin from leaving the party as Sirius chased after her.

"Karmen! Karmen!" He called after her, running up behind her, causing her to stop but not turn around. He gently grabbed her by the arm and turned her around, immediately met with her angry glare, "Hey.."

"What do you want, Sirius? To tell me that your disappointed that I'm dating a Slytherin, because if so I don't want to hear it." She said angrily, her nose scrunched up as it normally did when she was like this.

"No..no, I just wanted to make sure you were okay. And I'm sorry for icing you out for weeks, I was just getting use to the idea of you being with someone, not just because he was in Slytherin. I didn't want to lose you. Or for you to lost yourself." He said, apologizing for what he had done.

"You're not going to lose me. You've been my friend for years and years since we were little. Everything's fine." She said with a small nod at the end.

Sirius stepped forward and pulled her into a soft hug, not knowing if she was in that spot or not. Her head fell against his shoulder as he rubbed her back in the middle of the dark hallway of the school they both called home.

 Her head fell against his shoulder as he rubbed her back in the middle of the dark hallway of the school they both called home

A/N: this chapter sucked, i'm sorry. also, evan sucks