→ eleven

hyerim stared at the boy with blue hair, brain processing his words at a painfully slow rate

"huh?"

"i didn't see you at school." he repeated, this time with a shrug as he looked away from the girl and continued, "last time we spoke i thought i'd see you there."

hyerim stayed silent for a few more seconds before shifting quietly. "i stayed home today."

"oh."

"yeah."

it was obvious that neither knew what to say, and that made things awkward. finally, after almost six seconds of grueling silence, the brunette managed to take a breath and lift her gaze. "so you got home okay? your car is fine?"

jeno looked up at the girl, remembering the situation he was in the last time he picked gaon up. the boy chuckled, hand naturally coming up to rub his nape.

"yeah, everyone got back fine. and the car is," he momentarily glanced back at the vehicle that looked exactly the same as it had the last time hyerim saw it. "fine."

a small, soft smile grazed the girl's lips before she could stop herself. she liked talking to him, even if their sentences were short and awkward. it made her smile.

"do you have practice today?" hyerim inquired, brow naturally raising as she gazed up at the blue-haired hockey player. jeno shook his head, lips quirking as if he was amused she remembered he played. "no. coach said we should rest up after our hard work."

nodding, the brunette swiftly brushed a wave behind her ear. "so what do you do? for your position in hockey, i mean."

"i'm the goalkeeper." jeno smirked, hoping she knew what that was so he didn't have to explain. whether or not she did, hyerim nodded with pursed lips. "ooh, sounds fancy."

the two older siblings found themselves chuckling, which was somewhat odd. the girl felt her chest swell at the foreign sound of lee jeno's laugh. it was a sound she knew she wanted to hear again.

but, the athlete cleared his throat shortly after, a shy grin still on his lips. "whatever you say. we're doing good this season. coach is already preparing us for the finals."

"oh really? that must be tiring..."

jeno sighed softly and dragged a hand through his bright blue tuffs. "it is, but we'll manage. i feel kinda bad for my soulmate, though."

hyerim's ears perked up, eyes instantly flicking back towards the boy as her body stilled in curiosity. "your soulmate?"

"yeah. i haven't met her yet, and she's really annoying, but it's hard having her well-being constantly on my mind."