→ nineteen

when hyerim released jeno's hand to lock the door, panic surged through the young hockey player

when hyerim released jeno's hand to lock the door, panic surged through the young hockey player. listen, it's not that he didn't trust her, he just didn't know her. even when his body was telling him he did, his mind kept reminding him otherwise.

the girl, on the other hand, only had one mission in her brain. she knew soulmates shared identical marks and causing both him and herself unnecessary pain wasn't what she wanted to do. sorry, felix.

the brunette took a step forward, and jeno subconsciously took one back. "hyerim? what are you—" the boy with blue hair cut himself off by tightly sealing his lips once he realized just how close they'd become; close enough for him to see that her eyes had specks of gold buried deep beneath the brown.

her fingers found the top helm of his t-shirt and jeno stiffened, hand reaching out to hold her wrist in place. as if snapped out of a trance, the brunette met his eyes and took a very far step back, releasing his shirt as she did so.

"oh my gosh, wait, i, um, sorry, i—this totally looks bad—" she was about to turn away and collect herself, but a dim glint in the corner of her vision caused her to still. as jeno attempted to fix his shirt, a bit of his collarbone was exposed.

without a second thought, hyerim rushed forward and pulled his collar down, fingers instantly roaming towards the little golden mark above his chest. her heart stopped as a wave of relief flooded over her.

oblivious, jeno's face turned bright red, clearly flustered with the sudden situation. "w-what are you..?"

the girl met his eyes, holding the gaze as she started pulling at her own hoodie collar. however, jeno's eyes shot wide and he grabbed her hands to stop her from literally stripping. "hyerim, stop! what are you doing?!"

"shut up, you big baby! look."

the boy followed her fingers as they moved towards her own collarbone, outlining a delicate golden symbol identical to his. the pair stood in each other's arms for a few seconds, reality slowly dawning on the older of the two.

"soulmate?"

"soulmate."

and just like that, floods of warmth soothed through the pairs veins, causing their feet to stutter beneath them. the marks on their chests lit up with iridescent golden-yellow light, the sight bringing smiles and gasps of shock to both jeno and hyerim as the observed the situation. the connection.

"finally!"

the light dulled as the two broke their gaze and whipped towards the door, only to see sejin and gaon peeking in from the hallway with wide, knowing grins.