→ sixteen

"shin hyerim?!" the said girl's head snapped up at the sound of her name, eyes already welling with tears

"shin hyerim?!" the said girl's head snapped up at the sound of her name, eyes already welling with tears. "mom?"

sure enough, a fairly distressed woman trapped in a pantsuit appeared in the doorway, chest heaving as if she'd just run a mile in heels.

"oh my goodness," the woman cried, instantly tossing the pointed-toed shoes she'd been holding to the side as she rushed towards her daughter. hyerim broke down in her mother's arms, holding her tight and close so she wouldn't leave.

"i was so scared..." she sobbed, the girl's tears staining her mom's white blouse. ms. shin patted down her daughter's brunette hair before peppering the weak girl with comforting kisses. "me too, my sweet girl, me too."

within ten minutes, both shin women were laying on the hospital bed, the younger playing with a loose string on her mother's suit as the elder continued running her fingers through her daughter's hair.

"i'm really sorry," the brunette suddenly breathed, keeping her eyes trained on the string between her fingers as she spoke. when hyerim felt her mother's hand pause in her hair, she held her breath.

"you have no reason to apologize. don't feel like you have to. it isn't your fault."

"yeah, but..." the young girl paused when she felt a bubble in her throat. "... but why did he do it? am i not trying hard enough to find him?"

there was a quiet coo from the woman beside her. "why assume his intentions were ill-minded? considering how careful he seems to be with you, i'm choosing to believe this was all an accident."

swallowing hard, hyerim could only nod at her mom's words, afraid that if she tried to speak again she'd cry. she was usually very positive, but something about the situation felt different to her. like reality was trying to catch up. she didn't know who her soulmate was. she didn't know how to find him.

the brunette took a deep breath to calm down, not very fond of the cynical thoughts invading her mindset.

"you're alright," the sweet sound of her mother's voice flooded her senses and brought a soft smile to her lips. "i'm sure this was all a misunderstanding. you'll find each other soon, sweetheart."

nodding, hyerim nuzzled further into her mother's side and let her eyes drift shut as she waited for sleep to take her away.

── 🩹 ──

"we just need to be safe. it's protocol."

jeno continued staring at a random spot on the plain white hospital blanket draped over the lower half of his body. the doctor didn't have to state his real thoughts for jeno to know what he wanted to say.