→ twenty-five

"dude, the dragons won again

"dude, the dragons won again."

"at this rate, we'll be playing them in the finals."

"if we make it to the finals..."

"hey!" every boy's head snapped up at their coach's shout, comments ceasing as their lips instantly sealed shut. the elder dragged his cold orbs across the team before released a low huff, shoulders slumping slightly. "if you guys want to give up? give up. wanna quit? quit. no one is gonna stand in your way."

honestly, everyone (including assistant couch ten) was at a loss of words, not one of them expecting the rather depressing words to ever leave sicheng's mouth. and yet there he was, arms now crossed over his chest and frown apparent beneath his dark gaze.

"wh-what kind of pep talk is that?"

"oh, you want a pep talk? sorry, pep talks are only for boys with potential. you've already seemed to give up."

there he was. the corner of jeno's lip quirked at the rising tone in their coach's voice as he repositioned his hands in his hips.

"you wanna quit? you wanna let those good-for-nothing dragons beat you without putting in any effort? be my guest! or," he cocked a brow, well aware that he had all his students' attention. "you could give it your all. make them suffer. don't let them walk all over you. show them what you're capable of! we've made it this far, have we not?"

by this point, the hockey players were cheering after every pause sicheng took. he was almost yelling as he continued, "so, are you gonna let those fucking dragons run you over?!"

"no, coach!"

"are you gonna give it your all? go down fighting?!"

"yes, coach!" jeno and his teammates shouted each word with a grin, their spirits rising by the second. looking around at the group of boys, sicheng flashed a smirk and straightened.

"good. i'll end practice early for you all to reflect on your reason for being here. now get out of here."

the boys filed out, some heading to the locker rooms while others stripped of their padding and ice skates right in the gymnasium. jeno and his squad of four went to the first option without a second thought, deciding to play on their phones in the empty room after everyone else left.

when it was just the captain, his four closest friends, and a few trusty teammates left, the boy with blue hair turned off his device and leaned forward, signaling to the others that he was about to say something. they followed suit, dropping their phones into their laps or bags to give him their full attention.