Chapter 8

When Audrey arrived at Farah’s office, they showed her a short video that Noura sent to Marco. Noura was another member of Marco’s team and she was brutally killed by the Burned Ones outside the border.

Audrey’s face scrunched up as she saw blood everywhere on the screen. She was quick to look away, wanting to get that image out of her head.

“These are more than 5” she sighs looking among the two teachers and Marco. And indeed there were more than 5 Burned Ones that killed Noura and were somewhere out there.

“Just give me the word and I’m going” Audrey states staring into Farah’s eyes. The Headmistress’ eyebrows furrowed. She looked at Silva and then back at the girl before letting her gaze fall to the floor.

She wanted to think about it.
Some would say that it was Audrey’s decision. But it seemed to be more Farah’s than hers. Not only because Audrey was her students but because she raised he her.

Farah was the closest thing that Audrey had as a mother all these years. And Audrey herself deep down knew that when she said that to Farah, she wasn’t asking for permission as a student. But as her daughter.

Because if something happened and Audrey had the same end as Noura and hundreds other soldiers  Farah would be the one to who’d mourn her the most.

“I can help, you know that”

"I know that you are a strong fairy, Audrey, but you're not ready for this. You haven't full control over your magic" Farah replies shaking her head as an answer to the girl.

“Please, Farah. It won’t be the first time I face one of those. Just 5 soldiers for back up. That’s all I need” Audrey says and Farah sighs sitting on the couch and bringing her hands to her face.

“Do you think she can do it?” Marco asks turning to look at Silva. “Oh she will do it, no doubt. But at what cost?” Silva states staring back at Marco. “She’s a kid” the air fairy shoots back.

“This is messed up” Audrey mutters under her breath as she leans against the wall. "You said you have killed one again. When did that happen?" Marco asks Audrey.

"I killed one the night Bloom got back to the first world and the one that attacked Silva" the fire fairy simply replies. "You never explained how you tracked them down both times," Silva points out.

Audrey could feel Farah’s eyes on her. It was true  she never said how she managed to track down the Burned One that attacked Silva and didn’t even mention the one that attacked her to Farah. Although Silva knew through Sky, the Headmistress had no idea.

“I can feel when they’re around” she admits and Farah’s eyes widen. She knew one more fairy that the same was happening to. Bloom. And for days the Headmistress was thinking that the Burned Ones appeared now because of her.

But it looked like they were after Audrey too.

“I can’t let you go, Audrey.” the woman says raising from her seat. “I’ve told you before, Farah. I can’t sit back and watch people getting hurt when I know I can help” Audrey replies shaking her head.

“You know too that I can do it or else I wouldn’t be here.”

Silva was quick to grab Farah’s arm and lead her outside the office where they could talk alone. He was aware of Farah’s thoughts since she had shared them with him.

Marco and Audrey were sitting in silence as they were waiting for the pair to return. That was until Audrey decided to break the silence.

“We’re you close? With Noura?” she asks looking at him as she waited for an answer. “She was my best friend. We were together since training” Marco replies softly, his voice breaking as he held back tears.

“Just do me a favour” he states whipping quickly his tears. “If they do let you go, promise me you’ll kill these monsters” Marco says and Audrey nods. “You have my word on that”

The door opens once again and Farah with Silva walk in. The fire fairy couldn’t help but notice how both of them were in distress. They weren’t sure for what they were about to do, she could tell.

But what followed, she could never imagine.

“I’m sorry” Farah whispers as she grabs the girl’s arms and places two bracelets around her wrists. Audrey’s eyebrows furrow and her eyes flash their vibrant red colour before it faded away. Her eyes returning to their natural colour as she felt her power weakening and disappearing.

“What are you doing?” Audrey asks, trying to use her magic confused as to why she can’t feel it inside her anymore. A groan escaped her lips, she was in pain.

"Listen to me. If you fight it, it'll hurt more. Don't try to use magic" Farah explains looking into her eyes. Audrey’s eyebrows furrowed as she looked at the woman. She was trying to read her expression. She looked scared, desperate.

“The Burned Ones are after you, like Bloom. And I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s somehow related to your powers. Wearing these is like interrupting the signals. It’s the only way to hide you” Farah explains.

“You can’t do this” Audrey whispers. Her gaze moved from Farah to Silva, hoping that he would agree with her. But the man only shook his head.
And just like that everyone left the room, leaving her standing there. Alone.

As instructed, Silva had to lead his specialists out of the border. Right now they were probably the only ones able to help since the fairies weren’t ready.

"Going out there without fairies? That's fucking stupid" Riven says to Silva after he talked to their group, giving the instructions. "That's an order Riven, suck it up" Sky replies looking at the brunette.

Sky saw Riven’s eyes moving from him to somewhere behind him, so he turned around to see what he was looking at.

“You have a fairy in flesh and bones” Audrey exclaims getting closer to the group. “Is Farah here?” the fire fairy asks looking around.

“She left two minutes ago with Aisha. Beatrix is out” Riven explains. Audrey turned to look at him, wanting to check that he is alright because liked it or not, Beatrix played an important past in his life the past month.

But right now she had to think more than that.

“Silva, I need the key” she states turning to the teacher. “I already told you, Audrey” Silva sighs looking down at the girl.

“What key? What are you guys-“ Sky interrupted himself. His gaze fell to Audrey’s arms. There was blood dripping down her palms. “What happened to your arms?” he asks taking them in his and inspecting them, causing a groan escape her lips.

Sky’s expression softened as he looked at her face. He didn’t want to pain her but his clumsy move made her arms hurt. He saw her closing her eyes softly, trying to get over the stinging pain.

“Why is are you wearing those?” he asks slowly before turning to Silva, giving him a hard stare. “Farah believes that the bracelets will stop the Burned Ones from tracking her” Silva explains to Sky.

“This is torture!” Sky exclaims pointing at Audrey’s bleeding arms. “That’s because she tried taking them off without the key, didn’t you?” Silva asks the girl inspecting her wounds too.

“Don’t look at me like that, you two! It wasn’t even my decision” Silva sighs when the two specialists gave him the death stare.

Audrey’s head snapped to the side, staring in the woods. Her eyebrows furrowed. She could still feel their presence, even with the bracelets on.

Unconsciously she walked towards the trees. Sky turned to look at her as she walked away from him without an explanation. Quickly putting the pieces together, he followed her trying to reach her before it was too late.

“Get your swords!” he yells and all the specialists take their weapons out following them. Audrey stopped looking into the dark forest. She was waiting for it.

And there it was, a pair of red eyes.
Sky was quick to pull her back and fight the creature off, protecting the fairy since she was unable to do it herself. He could hear her breathing heavily, behind him. She was freaking out.
Fortunately, the other specialists managed to hold it back and Silva kill so Sky could go to her.

“What the hell were you thinking walking that close without magic?! You knew what it was!” Sky asks raising his voice. “I’m sorry I can’t control it” Audrey mutters lowly.

“I know, I’m sorry.” Sky sighs embracing her in a tight hug. “You scared me for a second” he mutters in her hair. “I didn’t mean to” Audrey replies hiding her face in his chest. Finally feeling like she could relax for a moment.

“”They bracelets don’t work” Sky states looking at Silva with a harsh look. “We need to get her back to the school, to get the key” he explains and Silva nods, acknowledging how wrong he and and Farah were.

“I don’t want to ruin this wonderful couple moment. But that thing just went through the border.” Riven exclaims but no one had time to say anything. Audrey’s phone ringed.

“Stella?” Audrey answers the call. “I need your help” Stella says. Audrey could hear the fear in her voice. The fire fairy led  the specialists back in their cars and they drove back to school.

“Stay with me on the phone, Stel” Audrey says getting in the car. “We are locked in the suite and I can't reach Bloom. We need you" Stella is rumbling.

"I'm on my way, calm down," Audrey says to the girl. "What happened?" she asks. "- is- h-hurt and were-" "Stella! Stella!"

"I lost her," Audrey exclaims looking at the three specialist that were in the same car with her. “Drive faster” Sky orders Silva making the man step on the gas more.

When they arrived, Audrey got out of the car in a hurry, heading for the suite.

"The key for the bracelets is on the specialists' building," Silva says pointing at the opposite direction of the one the girl was heading at. "We don't have time for that. The girls need me, we'll figure it out later" Audrey replies running inside with Sky following her.

“Audrey wait!” the blond yells but the fire fairy didn’t listen. Stella sounded really worried on the phone. Someone was hurt and they were locked in the suite which meant that they couldn’t get help for that someone.

“It’s locked” she sighs as she tries to open the big wooden door. For a minute she tries to use her magic to burn it down but she then remembers that she can’t thanks to the bracelets.

"Audrey, stop. You only hurting yourself that way” Sky exclaims pulling her away from the door as she tried to break it down. The fire fairy steps back as the specialist tries to do it himself.
Sky makes it and when they walk in they see Sam lying on the floor, bleeding.

“What happened?” Audrey asks worried. “There are Burned Ones in the building.” Stella replies making the pair look at each other. “Help! We need to get him downstairs!”