Chapter 9

All the students were gathered in the courtyard. All the door and windows were locked up as everyone was trying to protect themselves from the Burned Ones.

“Don’t you have fairy things to do?” Sky asks, moving Audrey out of the way so he can move the furniture in front of the door. “I need to talk to you” she says pulling him some meters away from the others so they could talk.

“I’m about to do something stupid. And I just felt the need to warn you” Audrey sighs looking into Sky’s eyes and seeing the confusion in them.

“Don’t do something that’ll get you killed, Audrey” he says with a serious tone staring back into her eyes.

“The Burned Ones are after me and Bloom. She screwed up in many different ways and she wants to make it up. And I can’t let her do that alone” Audrey explains.

“We’ll lead them away from the school so everyone is safe. But I’ll need you to cover for me” she says and Sky sighs shaking his head. “Audrey-“

The boy didn’t have the time to complete what he wanted to say. Audrey pulled him in from the back of his neck for a kiss. Sky kissed her back, holding her close to him.

“Do you really have to go?” he asks as their foreheads leaned against each other. “Yes, I do” Audrey replies and only then, at the sound of her broken voice, Sky opens his eyes to look at her only to notice that she is crying.

His hands went to her cheeks, wiping them clean from all her tears. Sky placed a small kiss on her forehead, holding her close for a second and inhaling her scent. He was scared, both of them were.

He didn’t want to lose her too.
"You haven't taken off the bracelets, what are you going to do?" Sky asks pulling away and looking at her wrists. Blood stained her white skin and bruises had formed along her arms.

“Don’t worry about it, I’ll find a way” Audrey says softly before giving him a last good look and turning to leave.
"Audrey wait!" Sky says grabbing her arm carefully and spinning her around so he could  look at her. "Be careful, okay?" he says softly hugging her.

Audrey nodded her head as she hid her face on his chest, holding a fistful of his shirt. And Sky kissed her again. His lips planted a soft kiss on her forehead once again before she walked away.

"What was that for?" Silva asks approaching Sky, his eyebrows furrowed as she looked at the boy.

"What was what?" Sky asks, playing dump as he continued to look at Audrey walking away and Silva looks at him straight in the eye.

The specialist says nothing. He just sighs shaking his head before returning at doing his tasks.

"She's her father's daughter. Stubborn as hell" Silva sighs frustrated before walking with a fast pace towards the redhead. “Audrey, what are you planning?”

“I’m not planning anything, Silva. I still have these on I’m basically useless” Audrey exclaims showing him the bracelets that were still wrapped around her wrists.

Silva looked at her, still not believing a word she says. He nodded his head before scanning briefly the room.

“Where  re your suitemates?” he asks.
“I don’t know, somewhere in the crowd I guess” Audrey replies, only then noticing jowls her friends walked behind Silva, signalling her that they need to go and to follow them. “I’ll go look for them”

“No, I need your help with something. Come on” Silva says taking her hand in his and leading her to where they were working on the barriers.

Audrey sighed as she leaned against the wall. Silva didn’t order her to do something but didn’t also let her go. He knew that she was planning something and now he had her sitting on her corner with a couple of specialists watching her, making sure she wouldn’t leave.

“She looks pale” Sky points out as he and Silva were sitting back observing her for a moment. Audrey looked indeed pale and weak, drained out of energy. “Too pale. The bracelets shouldn’t have that affect on her”

With that being said, Sky walked towards her. He wanted to check on her, make sure that she could hang in there for a little bit more. He hated seeing her like that.

The specialists let him walk past but as soon as Audrey sees him coming she turns around to leave.

“Stay” he mutters softly  grabbing her arm and turning her around so she could face him. Audrey winced in pain at his touch, pulling her arm out of his grip.

Sky looked at her with worried eyes. Silva was right. The bracelets shouldn’t pain her that much.

“You told him” Audrey exclaims looking at him. “I didn’t, he figured it out” Sky replies making her scoff in response. “That ‘be careful’ act was a distraction. You knew he’d notice it”

“No, Audrey. That be careful was me telling you that you have to stay alive” Sky corrects her getting closer. “You can’t leave me now, Aud. I need you” he whispers softly, pushing a strand of her red hair behind her ear.

“Sky has something happened?” she asks looking at the boy. There was something different about him. Audrey placed her hand in his but instead of enjoying that moment Sky couldn’t think anything but how cold her skin was on his.

“Your hands are cold” he states, avoiding to answer her question and taking both of her palms in his so he could warm them up. “My hands are always cold” she replies, realizing her hands from his grip.

“Well they’re colder than usual” Sky exclaims pulling them back and inspecting them. He could see that there was more blood than earlier. But he could also see the bruising along her arms. There was definitely something going wrong with those bracelets.

“This shouldn’t be happening” he mutters under his breath as he looked at them. “Sky, it’s fine. I’m fine. Leave it” Audrey sighs tiredly. “No, I can’t leave it-“

Sky was interrupted by the girl falling into his arms. He was quick to catch her, prevent her from falling. Audrey was dizzy, she had almost passed out. 

“Audrey? Audrey! I need some help here!” he yells and people gather around immediately. Sky was sitting on the floor with the girl in his arms.