Chapter 3

Sophie's hands were trembling by time she read through the letter. Her body was heaving with sobs, and she reread the note, making sure her eyes weren't deceiving her.

I'm going to be hiding the same way the Black Swan hid you. That's why you have to stay away.

She let out a shrilled scream, full of sobs. Sophie wasn't in control anymore. Her whole world had been tipped over. Lost balance. 

At the same time, Sophie lost coordination and fell to the floor, not bothering to be strong anymore. Keefe was gone. Gone. 

She didn't think anything could have been worse when Keefe ran off in recklessness to join the Neverseen. Sure, his intentions were good. But... he hadn't planned his escapade very well. But still, reading his letter as her mind caught up with reality felt like a fatal blow to her stomach.

Sophie let out another wail, a sad, miserable wail full of grief and betrayal.

Grady and Edaline came crashing into the doorway, Sandor and Flori flanking them, their eyes spotting Sophie, curled into a ball in the center of her room.

"Sophie! Oh my goodness, what happened?" Edaline shrieked with, as she and a very pale Grady dashed to her side.

Hearing her concerned, worried, and anxious voice made a bout of remembrance course through Sophie, thrashing into her heart as she fought to stand up. Her mind replayed her memories with Keefe, her photographic memory allowing her to reminisce everything down to the last detail.

She stayed silent, oblivious to Grady and Edaline's worried shouts to her. Sophie remembered the time when Keefe had flown with her across the starry nighttime sky on Silveny, a pale glow illuminating their faces. Keefe had held onto her waist gently, and Sophie's head was on his chest. She remembered the blush along her cheeks, as Keefe had sworn he'd protect her.

He wasn't there to protect her now.

Instead, Keefe was gone.